China visa - where's best to get it?

Travel Forums Asia China visa - where's best to get it?

1. Posted by loubylou (Respected Member 664 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

My boyfriend and I are considering adding China to our itinerary, probably in Sept/Oct this year. We are both British passport holders.

We have heard that you can get a visa in Hong Kong relatively easily, but we don't have an idea of how much this will cost. We have recently read that the Chinese government has increased it's visa costs for British passport holders in line with what the British government has done for Chinese nationals entering the UK.

Does anyone have any up to date info on how much the visa is costing in HK? Would it be cheaper and easier to get a visa in Hanoi or Philippines, as we are visiting both these before China?

Any help is appreciated!

2. Posted by pingxc (Budding Member 9 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Double Entry from UK:
Normal Service (5 working days) £62,6
Same Day Service £100,3
Next Day Service £83,5

Please read the following notes carefully before submitting your visa application:
1. If you require the same day service, please make sure that your passport and relevant documents are delivered to our office before 10:00am on the day of application. The passport will not be ready until 2:00pm on the same day.

2. Public holidays, Saturdays and Sundays are not counted as working days.

3. £5 will be charged for return post by Special Delivery, and any extra passport delivered to the same address will be charged at £1 each to cover further postage costs.

4. Business Visa: An invitation letter/fax from an authorised Chinese governmental department or company is required. For a multiple entry visa, the invitation letter must be original. It should be issued by the governmental foreign affairs offices at or above the provincial level.

5. A single or double entry visa is usually valid for entry within 3 months from the date of issue.

6. There must be at least one totally blank page in the passport. Pages marked for endorsements or amendments cannot be used as a visa page. A completed visa application form (with notes on the back) is required, together with a passport-size photograph.

7. Single and double entry visas require a passport that is valid for at least 6 months. For the multiple-entry visa, a passport should be valid for at least 9 months.

8. Visa/Entry permit for Hong Kong: British citizens do not require visas for a visit to Hong Kong not exceeding six months.

9. Payment of the visa application should be made by cash, postal order or cheque. You are strongly advised to pay by postal order to shorten the process if you cannot come in person. This is because we cannot process the application until the cheque is cleared, which normally takes 4 working days. The cheque and postal order should be made payable to CTSIC. For same day or next day service, ONLY cash payment is accepted.

10. Duration of stay/number of entries: Duration of stay for a visa may vary. For single entry, this is normally 30 days; it could also be 90 days upon request. It is possible to extend the duration of stay for a visa in China by contacting the local foreign affairs office at the Public Security Bureau. Multi-entry visas are normally valid for 6 months and are only issued according to official invitation letters for business visitors.

11. A Visa is always required wherever you enter Mainland China, including from Hong Kong or Macao.

12. Please note that the issue of a Chinese Visa is subject to the consent of the Chinese Embassy in the UK. In some circumstances, you might be required to provide further documents as evidence of your visit to China. We do not take the responsibility for the rejection of your application by the Chinese Embassy.

3. Posted by loubylou (Respected Member 664 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

thanks for the response, but we aren't actually in the UK so we cannot get our visas there, it would have to be either Hong Kong, Vietnam or Philippines.

If anyone else can help?

4. Posted by aharrold45 (Travel Guru 1281 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

By doing a search on google I found the following information:

To get a Visa to China in Hong Kong you go to the Chinese consulate on Hong Kong Island. It takes up to three days to get a 60-90 day visa and costs about $380HK. You can get it faster including the same day but that costs more. It is cheaper at: Peoples Republic of China Visa Office Low Block - 5th Floor - China ??? Building 26 Harbour Rd Wanchai, Hong Kong - 2585-1794, 2585-1700

5. Posted by loubylou (Respected Member 664 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

thanks, that's what I found too. I just read somewhere that US and British passport holders were being charged something between HK$500 and 600 due to reciprocal agreements and stuff and wondered if anyone had any first hand experience of this.

Thanks again!