Skip Navigation

speeding conviction please help me!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific speeding conviction please help me!

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
11. Posted by t_penguin (Budding Member 21 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Same thing happend to me in Victoria. Came back to the UK to an envelope from Victorian Civic Compliance and a few 100 buck fine. I was doing 111 in a 100 zone on the way to Phillip Island to see the penguins!
I decided to pay and you can do so on line. Would recommend you pay if you are intending to return. I did and I now live in Sydney.....

12. Posted by ozman (Full Member 118 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

On the other hand... I managed to get a fine from one of those UK fixed cameras. I had lived in the UK for almost two years and got this fine about a month before I left. I just wrote "not at this address - return to sender" and put it back in the post. When I returned to Oz, I received this email from some pommy police service saying that the matter was finalised. I don't know how they got my email address, but I have kept it just in case I ever go back!

There is an option on the ticket that you can tick. It is a way of stating that you were not driving at the time. They will ask you the full name and address of the person who was in charge of the vehicle. If you can get those details, then no worries!


13. Posted by ontheedge (Full Member 90 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

i dont f**king belive it!! another fine has landed on my mat!! $287 this time but no details on the back to fill out to put the details of the lad who was speeding!!!!!!!!! do i ignore it or pay!?

14. Posted by SamSalmon (Respected Member 626 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Ignore it-It Has No Force in Law and isn't worth the paper it's written on.

15. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Throw it away you all say? Didn't ontheedge mention he was going back to Oz. You need to find who was driving and get them to sign the ticket to state that they were driving. Fat chance? Ok, dispute the fine. Tell them its not true. Ask the rental car company for more evidence. In some cases if you choose to dispute it they will write it off as the cost of going to court far exceeds the cost of the ticket.

And Victoria has been punished by the public as of late for issuing illegal speeding tickets due to to faulty speed cameras.

Dispute it; or pay it.

16. Posted by kruzinkiwi (Budding Member 152 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Lose of licence and $300 odd bucks.Geeee,thats aussie for ya,I have been driving for 15 years and the only speeding fines I have ever had were in Australia.I would say dont pay it,but if your going back do pay or they will make you before you enter the country.Nothing to stress over.only the cash sitch

17. Posted by Peter (Admin 6418 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I've been driving in Victoria for 8 years and never had a speeding fine. Certainly not a $300 one - that would require a significant effort. Yes, the cops are strict, but if you don't speed, you generally have nothing to worry about (aside from the weird speed camera issues majito touched on). I find that there is far less speeding going on here compared to other places (US, Canada, etc) as a result and therefore support the tough approach.

Regarding paying the fine, I'd try disputing it as well - at least to try and get it shifted to the guy who actually did the speeding.

18. Posted by ToniL (Budding Member 52 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I think that your main problem is that you gave your credit card details to the hire company when you hired the car. They will have that on record and will have given your details to the police. It is very possible that the police will debit the card for the amount of the fine. I would asume that the fine was for a speed camera detection rather than being stopped.

OK - so how do you get over the problem.

I suggest that you write to the police and state, in as formal manner as possible for example by statutory declaration or by having your statement signed in front of a magistrate or policeman in your home country, that you were not the driver of the car. State that you were an overseas visitor and that you had given a backpacker a lift and that he was driving at the time. State that you only know that his name was Tom and have no idea of his other name or his home address.
You could even send a small passport photo or something similar so that they can consult their camera photo and see that it wasn't you. After that they will just drop it.

As a further precaution you could also tell your bank that you have lost your credit card and ask them to issue another with a different number.

As has already been stated a traffic fine is a civil offence and nobody is going to come and try to extradite you. Likewise it will not be on any immigration computer database so you will not be clapped in irons if you re-enter Oz. You could possibly have a few problems if you ever emigrated to Oz and wanted to get a licence in Victoria - but nobody in their right mind would want to live in Victoria when Queensland exists !.


19. Posted by Utrecht (Moderator 5655 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Perfect! Although I haven't got any speeding fine, I know I won't pay know.
But what strikes me most is the stupidity over there by both police and rental company: if the police just send the fine to the rental car agency (which is the official owner of the car probably), than the rental car agency pays, but of course withdraw this from the credit card number of the person who rented it at that time.
By the way...ToniL, it is necessary to give your credit card number...;)

  • 1
  • 2