Skip Navigation

Working holiday maker from New Zealand

Travel Forums Europe Working holiday maker from New Zealand

1. Posted by bex76 (Moderator 3916 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

my boyfriend is from New Zealand and is on a 2 year working holiday visa here in the uk. His visa stipulates that he must work for no longer than 12 months of the 2 years but this seems to be a bit of a grey area, ie what constitutes 12 months work? Is it 365 days (which would be more than a typical working year) or is it 48 weeks (240 working days?) or is it 12 months from the start date of work, however much work you do in between? if anyone could clarify this it would be much appreciated.

2. Posted by sunset1999 (Full Member 108 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Hi Bex,

I think it's the number of days you work over the 2 year period. This is from the British high commission website:

Your MAIN PURPOSE SHOULD BE TO TAKE A HOLIDAY. You should not have any commitments which would require you to earn a regular income. Employment should been seen as incidental to the holiday and therefore you are not allowed to work for more than twelve months over the two year visa period.

This is the URL just in case you want to check it out. I think you can also email them to ask questions:

Also just an FYI but if your bf is earning enough and he wants to stay in the UK he can try and get a highly skilled migrant visa... It's another way to stay in the UK.

3. Posted by bex76 (Moderator 3916 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

thanks for the info :)

4. Posted by TimOrum (Budding Member 26 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

hi ,

Know the your visa situation to well....
I have spent quite some time on the phone to the visa people and the are very clear on what they deam as 12 months working. they work it out on a monthly basis like this - If you work 1 hour in a calander month (yes 1 hour) then that is counted a one month of your 12 month allocation.

So you can work 24 hours a day 365 days provided they are within 12 months!! , or if you work for one hour per month for 12 months then that is your visa up!! so potentially you could work any where between 12 and 8760 hours for your visa to be OK.......

To be honest though its only because my partner works for lawyers that are covering there asses(fair enough) that we had to find out, most people work there two years without any hassles, ive never heard of anyone that has got in trouble for working more than their twelve months - not to say you couldnt be the first!

5. Posted by bex76 (Moderator 3916 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Thanks Tim, that's really helpful :)