Finding work in Britain

Travel Forums Europe Finding work in Britain

Last Post This thread is marked as being about England
1. Posted by CharleyS (First Time Poster 1 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

How would an American with an MA (Masters degree) in social work find a company or agency to apply for a work permit for them? I would really like to move to Britain, preferably the London or Brighton areas, to work as a clinical social worker. Where would be a good place to search for places that are hiring which would be willing to support my work permit and visa? Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!


2. Posted by JessieG (Full Member 67 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!
I posted my reusme on there... Ask around google what you have to look up..

There are lots of Social Work jobs going. type " london + jobs "

good luck.

3. Posted by KristenS (Budding Member 56 posts) 11y Star this if you like it! had some good info that helped me. I hope things work out for you.

4. Posted by Linger (Full Member 59 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I doubt you can get an agency to apply for a work permit. In order to get one, you would first need find a job. Following that, the company must be willing to sponsor your work permit. Not all companies are willing to do that as it's a hassle to them.

Since you have an MA, maybe you can consider the Highly Skilled Migrant visa. A friend of mine got it recently and according to him - it's a relatively easier process. I'm sure you'll be able to find out more on this website

Hope that helps. Good luck.

5. Posted by jmf (Budding Member 8 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Contact an agency called Beresford Blake Thomas - type it into google(UK).They are large employment/social work agency and I work for them in Manchester UK. Although I am British. But they might be able to give you guidance on jobs they could offer to overseas workers.
If you want to know more about social work in the UK then you can contact me again at this site.
Good luck, Julia.

6. Posted by PeteW27 (Budding Member 50 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Just remember that they are going to introduce a "points system" very similar to what they have in Australia (about time we took something back from them for a change!!) so in theory, it will be hard for anyone to get a job/claim for residency etc etc unless there is a gap in the market that needs filling. The websites mentioned (Monster would be another one!) would only find you the actual jobs you would need to get the visa, so I'd definately start off by learning more about this via the British Council/Embassy or Foreign Office!

Good luck!

7. Posted by honeythief (Budding Member 29 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

e-mailed your question to my pal who is a social worker here in london. her reply was :

'' They could try the Local Authority Social Services Department (Brighton & Hove Council) because if they are needing qualified social workers they might well sort it all out for him/her. ''

all the best mate ... john