Skip Navigation

Backpacker discount cards

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Backpacker discount cards

1. Posted by IanB (Budding Member 5 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

I'm heading out to Oz in a couple of weeks and have been reading about discount cards for backpacker hostels like VIP and Nomads. I'm guessing that it may be useful to join one or more of these but was wondering which people would recommend. I'm going to be there for about 11 months.


2. Posted by staceyr (Budding Member 4 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I purchased a Nomad card before I went to oz on the advice of STA travel. It cost me around £14 (this was over two years ago now though). It is worth getting one of these discount cards if you are travelling on greyhound buses or ox experience as you get large discounts on those.

BUT, don't buy the Nomad card!

There are much better (and cheaper) ones that you can buy once you get to oz, and I am really sorry but I can't remember the names of them as it was so long ago. (can anyone else help here?) You can get these ones from most of the tour operators and travel companies over there. I only found one hostel which would accept my Nomad card (and that was the Nomad hostel which also accepted all the other discount cards!!)

3. Posted by fimbria25 (Full Member 120 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

have a look at the VIP card, think its fairly well known in OZ. Im planning to get one...

see info @


4. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Respected Member 550 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

The VIP card is definitely the best card to get for Oz. VIP, Nomads and YHA all get you a lot of backpacker discounts on stuff like tours, bus tickets, cinema, etc. but the VIP card gets you discounts at far more hostels than Nomads and YHA.

5. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I'd go VIP as well..... it's pretty common in Australia.

6. Posted by bdturner (Budding Member 3 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Yeah, I held off from buying a VIP for ages in Oz, and probably spent loads more than I needed to.

At least make sure you have YHA or VIP, as coach and tour bus operators will normally accept either.