Skip Navigation

working in england over summer

Travel Forums Europe working in england over summer

1. Posted by gub (Budding Member 8 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I'm an American girl who will be graduating from high school this year and going off to college next fall. I really wanted to travel before going to college, but since my parents can hardly afford $40,000 a year for college, I need to work during the summers. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could get a job in England for a few months over the summer so I could get out of my little town while still making some money. I was thinking that I would really like to live in a city in the north like maybe Sheffield or Leeds. Does anyone have any info or advice on how to go about this? I'll be 18 at the time, by the way.

2. Posted by Mel. (Travel Guru 4567 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Hello Gub:)

Firstly check that u can get a work permit.
Then u could go to a job centre, when u arrive in England. Job centes are in every town in England and can help u to find many different types of jobs. Although, I would not rely on this trip to England, as a way to make money. It may happen that u will just earn enough to live on and cover your travel expenses.


3. Posted by magykal1 (Travel Guru 2026 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Mel is right - unless you're a really dedicated saver, you're not going to take home a massive amount of money off doing casual jobs. If you are determined, you could do two jobs - maybe an office job in the day and a bar job in the evening - and save some cash - but you won't see too much England that way.

Work Permit is the big issue. If you have a work permit, you won't have too much trouble finding casual jobs once you're here - there is loads of bar work, call center work etc....