Can I enter Canada on this Criminal Conviction?

Travel Forums North America Can I enter Canada on this Criminal Conviction?

1. Posted by nomadicgal (Budding Member 26 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I have a question which I need some help on

I recently recevied a "Conditional Discharge" from court after I was charged with shoplifting. Something I`m thourogly ashamed of.

I am going to apply for the BUNAC non student Canada programme in December this year as I want to go to Canada in 2008 for a year.. and I know I can still apply with this conviction and pray I get accepted.

I am hoping to get sponsered by a company whilst in Canada and get to stay there longer..but I am worried that this conviction is going to hinder me in that process.

I am asking therefore for anyone who has some info on this subject to please PM or message back.. Ive looked at websites etc but Im hoping someone has some first hand experience of how the canadian laws are with someon from the UK having a "conditional discharge".. I am not being sentence to any jail time or anything.. I paid no fine.... only got this discharge thing...

2. Posted by SamSalmon (Respected Member 626 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Under the British Justice system one receives a conditional discharge after being convicted.

Since you have been convicted-and that is the question not whether or not your conviction was expunged later by being discharged-you are inadmissible.

You can always lie-which is what most people do-Canada Customs & Immigration doesn't check each application-too time consuming.

3. Posted by TimAndrew (First Time Poster 1 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I had trouble entering Canada because of a driving under the influence arrest, which was only a misdemeanor and it was from 1986. I think it is because DUI or DWI is a felony in Canada. I had a law firm expunge the DUI conviction and I have not had any trouble at the Canadian border since then.

There is a good article on traveling to Canada with a criminal record at

4. Posted by AshleyC (Respected Member 53 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

I think it depends on the status of the charge. If you have been pardoned, you probably won't have a problem. But if the charge hasn't been settled, you may be denied entry. I've seen it done before.