Skip Navigation

Laptop questions....110 to 240 v

Travel Forums General Talk Laptop questions....110 to 240 v

1. Posted by Sue Lyn (First Time Poster 1 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Hi...This question may be address primarily to Americans who have travelled abroad, taking their laptop and hooking up to 220 v in other countries.

I want to purchase a laptop in the States and move with it to China, but need to hear that the AC adapter, really, really, really does convert the voltage....(when it says "input 110-240v" on the adapter) without having to use a converter that you plug into the wall.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid, but would appreciate any personal testimonies that this is in fact the case.


2. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Note that there is a difference between an ADAPTER and a CONVERTER. An adapter simply allows you to plug an American plug into different sockets from around the world. It does nothing to the current or voltage. A converter will step-up / step-down the voltage to work with the appliances correct voltage. Adapters are less expensive than converters.

Most every laptop will have no issues with CONVERTING the current. If it says it on the transformer that it can do 110-240v, you will be fine. I haven't had issues with mine when I've travelled aboard (nor with the charger for my digital camera, either).

You will need to get a plug ADAPTER, however, which will allow you to plug your american style plug to the plugs used in China. Radio Shack or other electronics stores sell them, and you can get all-in-one adapters that are quite handy for common travellers.


3. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Actually, both the terms adapter and converter can be used interchangeably here. It all depends on what you're adapting/converting.

Laptop power adapters that have the "110-220V AC" or similar label are made to accept different voltage input so that it can be used in anywhere in the world. The only thing you have to do is getting an AC plug converter. See this article for different types of AC plugs used in the world.

4. Posted by SVM (Inactive 46 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I bought my laptop in USA. But I use in india without any issues. In general all laptop power adapters are designed to be used anywhere in world. You need to have a AC plug converter and thats all. I dont see any other problems.

5. Posted by Q' (Travel Guru 1987 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Almost all the switching power supplies that come with today's laptops can handle 110 or 220 VAC input. The words on the back of your powersupply that you've written are exactly what I needed to know. So you should have no problems using the laptop in China or the USA. You just need an adapter to change the plug shape. Most department stores or electronics stores will sell you one for a few dollars. Just ask a salesman for help or read the packaging to see which countries go with which adapter plug. The instructions I've seen are EXTREMELY simple such as "to go from USA to UK" buy me.