Skip Navigation

Entering the US with a criminal Record.

Travel Forums North America Entering the US with a criminal Record.

1. Posted by lewy1 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

In December 2006 I was convicted of a crime called Violent Disorder at Crown Court. I was sentenced to 12 months in custordy. I won an appeall against the sentence in March 2007, the judge quashed the custordy part of the sentence and instead gave me a community order.

Does anyone know how this would effect my entry in to the US or has anyone travelled with a criminal record if so what was the outcome, i'm lokking to go to New York in 08' ?

2. Posted by SamSalmon (Respected Member 626 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

You won an appeal of the sentence but were convicted of a criminal offence-which makes you inadmissible.

Unless you're able to somehow obtain a pardon in Scotland and then a waiver for the USA upon arrival you'll be taken into custody and put on the first plane back to Old Blighty-at your expense.

There are lots of places that don't care though-dozens and dozens of fun interesting welcoming destinations you could go to.

3. Posted by kevandshan (Full Member 142 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Best thing to do is apply for a visa from the US consulate. Depending exactly what the charge was you may be able to enter. Just because you have a record does not make you inadmissible. But I would not recommend using the visa waiver program. They have no way of really knowing, but I wouldn't take the chance...if caught you definately will never see the US.
Call the embassy, or visit, they will assist you better than any advice on this site.

Cheers and good luck:)

4. Posted by shell5200 (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

If you have a criminal record(felony) you are tecnically inadmissable,especially for anything violent. But, you may still be able to get in with visa . Apply at embassy. See what happens what have you got to lose ? shell5200