Skip Navigation

I want to move to Europe for a year?

Travel Forums Europe I want to move to Europe for a year?

1. Posted by Lauren1985 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

For the Experience a friend and i have been talking about moving to Europe for a year. We want to live as cheap as possiable (with out putting our life's at risk, in a bad area), get a job, party, and meet new people. i don't even know where to begin, so ANY suggestions or tips will help. Please let me know what you think.... Maybe a website or book that could help us, or if you have personal experience information that would be great 2.

Thanks ya'll
<3 Lauren

PS i only speak english

2. Posted by jaxstar84 (Respected Member 415 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

well it depends wher eyou wanna go... americans cant really get working holiday visas anywhere, so that discounts that option for you...

you can get an aupair visa in some places eg netherlands...
other places youre going to have to apply for a residence permit (which can be hard in some places) and look for work then... germany i think its not too bad to get a residence permit...
otherthings you can do is find a job first and they can organise a working permit fo ryou...

im also not sure about teh schengen visa and how long it can be extended for if you wanted to go that way

3. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

its honestly reallyhard for us to get jobs in Europe. Americans have to go thru alot of red tape. Ur best off as a student - if ur a student now you may be able to go thru the university OR a Student Visa of some type. If not then you will have to find a company to sponsor you. As stated above. But with high unemployment in places like Germany, you will have a hard time getting any work permits.

Check out - theyhave some good advice about leaving the US.

Final advice - do it legally. In the past you could work under the table, but with new laws in place now - ur will find this not the best option anymore.

I got out of the US by studying here - and then got a work visa. Maybe try that option.

[ Edit: Edited on Dec 6, 2007, at 5:09 AM by coldwarspy ]

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Coldwarspy is right - the best option for immigrating into Europe is to graduate from a European university.

Other short-term options are with the US military, as an au-pair or exchange student for a year. The US Armed Forces take on civilian workers onto their bases. You do not need a work permit for these jobs in Europe.

Getting a work permit is very hard unless you got some special talent. Like having won nation-wide championships or prices for dancing ballet, playing the piano or similar. Or holding a PhD or similar in engineering, biotechnology, etc. Bachelor of Computer Sciences and medical training is sought after too.

But you sound very young, so this is not really an option for you. Or are you really interested in doing freelance work as an "erotic model" in Germany like so many Russian girls?