Taxes. Need help to make an important decision

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Taxes. Need help to make an important decision

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by ottawapal (Budding Member 8 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!


I'm having a hard time to decide and all the replies I got from the taxtion office beat aroud the bush and don't address the question. Maybe someone on this forum might shed some light. I can aquire an Australian Tax number since I recently got a permanent resident status however I don't have the intention to move there this year.
I would get a Tax number on-line but I have to find out if having a Tax Number will automatically force me to file Tax returns (even empty ) tax returns every year?
Also do you have to file a tax even if you have nothing to declare (For example in Canada the law sais you don't have to file if the goverment owes you money).
It's just that I don't want to have to pay accountants to file e,pty returns for me.

Million thanks,

2. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Recently read what is probably the answer to your question. It was sent to me by a backpackers tax back service as a list of FAQ.

Q: When do I have to file a tax return?
A: If you make more than 1 AUD

Of course I wouldn't base your decision solely on that but personally I believe it to be true.

So, basically you would be fine as long as they are empty. I have a similar situation with another country and it works fine as long as you don't enter the system. The moment you start working, it's tax filing time.

As a resident though, you would have a fairly high tax free threshold before having to start worrying about actually paying. Also, there are packs you can get from the ATO which should allow you to file by yourself without needing an accountant, when you get to that stage.

Hope that helps!



3. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Sam I Am is correct.

I you have no income, then you do not need to lodge a tax return.