Cars for Touring Oz

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Cars for Touring Oz

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by hmaar6 (Budding Member 8 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

What cars is best?

Should i go long, Ford Falcon? Or Small car, but maybe get a tent with it??

How much will it cost for me to re-register my car once the reg exipres, say i'm in Queensland but my car was rego'd in Sydney? Will it be expensive?? Is it worth driving back to Sydney for it?


2. Posted by jhetland (Budding Member 43 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Depends entierly on where you are going! If you are just going between cities, Ford Falcon will be fine. They can be fixed anywhere too. Small car, up to you, your preference, hard to sleep in. If you are aiming to go off the track, Cape York, Central Australia, or Norther coastal regions, get a 4wd. Landcruisers are good.

I have travelled extensivly with a Ford Falcon station wagon, and I was able to replace the engine for $900 with labour when I broke down in GinGin.

I have also travelled extensivly with a HJ47 troop carrier, that never failed.

Rego is a different animal in every state. NSW rego requires renewal and reinspection every year. QLD and WA only requires inspection when the car is sold, but you still have to do the annual payments. You shoudl check depending on where you are going, but from a hassel point of view, QLD and WA are easy. From a safety point of view, NSW, VIC and TAS are better.

NSW rego is around $2-300 a year, depends on engine size and volume.

A very important thing that not many realise, is that thrid party property insurance is not included in your rego. You need to get this seperatly, its commonly called bum insurance, and it is the minimum you should get.


3. Posted by SOMV (Budding Member 58 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Other things to bear in mind are:

If your registration expires while you are in another state or territory, you will have to drive back to the registering state to re-new it, OR have your registration transferred to the new state. This can be a huge hassle, adn really expensive, and not really worth it. Also, if you then want to re-sell the car, it will be really difficult to do that with registration from another state.

Oh, I would double check on the third party insurance question: I was under the impression that basic third party personal insurance IS included, but this only covers personal injuries. So you should also probably take out vehicle, fire and theft insurance.

I suppose it depends on how much the car is worth!

Cheers :)

4. Posted by hmaar6 (Budding Member 8 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!


Thanks for your replies

I will need to buy a car in Sydney but will need to mainly go to QLD in it. So can i buy a car in NSW thats actually rego'd in QLD?

If not guess i'll have to head back to Sydney once i'm ready to sell. Hopefully i won't be in Perth(!)


5. Posted by jhetland (Budding Member 43 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

You can, but from when you buy it, until you have to reregister into your name, you have like a 5 or 7 day grace period.

6. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 11y Star this if you like it!

Falcons are big, powerful, comfortable cars with a petrol tank large enough for long distance cruising. Easy and cheap to work on too.