Skip Navigation


Travel Forums North America Working/living/travelling

1. Posted by Nikki25 (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!


Im just looking for a bit of advice and help

I plan to travel around the US next year for 6 months or so and am wondering if i need a visa and if i am able to work out there?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated as im a real newbie at this and havent got a clue where to start!!



2. Posted by Wonkerer (Respected Member 592 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

So, I may be talking out of my arse, but I'm pretty sure that yes you do need a Visa, and no you can't work - well, at least not legally. Also pretty sure that the Visa's only going to be good for 90 days. I think this would be different if you had employer bringing you over, or were going to school, but it's all pretty much a pain in the butt. I do love the place, but beurocracy reigns there.

3. Posted by hey_monkee (Respected Member 430 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

To work there you'll have to get a working visa, and these can be tricky to get for the States - you need different visas to be employed in different kinds of jobs. Also, a travelling visa will be for a set amount of time, I'm not sure you'll be able to get one for 6 months

Post 4 was removed by a moderator
5. Posted by chemgal (Full Member 149 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

You can get a visa for the US which lets you stay for 6 months. You will have to apply through the US Embassy and you are required to have an interview in person for the visa. You will need to show that you have enough money to support yourself for those six months. They are pretty strict with these visa requirements and quite a few people do get denied these visas.

6. Posted by Cool Paul (Travel Guru 611 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Don't know where you are from so I'm not sure about getting into the country.

and I don't condone it but, hell, millions upon millions upon millions of people work illegally in the states. They even have kids here who ge free health insurance and a free education. if you just want cash to support your travels you can find a ton of jobs in cities or suburbs where you will be paid "under the table." go to philly, new york, or chicago, and you will find a pizza shop on every corner that will gladly pay people in cash. This sounds bad, but it's the truth, look for a place that has tons of mexicans or italians that barely speak english. You probably wont make much though. minimum wage in this country is pretty terrible and since you wouldn't even be on the books you'd probably make even less unless you make lots of tips. but a lot of places where you would make good money on tips would want to hire you on legit.

It really depends on where you want to work. I've known a ton of US citizens that have worked for cash.