Skip Navigation

I'm 24, would I be the oldest person in the 'youth hostel'?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific I'm 24, would I be the oldest person in the 'youth hostel'?

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
1. Posted by Marcus1 (Full Member 129 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I'm setting off backpacking to Australia. Most people I know would have done most of their travelling between 18-24. Would I be the oldest person there? Would it be mostly teenagers?

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5235 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Heh, no, you'd be about the average age. The number of 18-19 year olds going backpacking for any length of time is fairly limited. Especially if you go to YHA hostels (or generally speaking, to non party-hostels), you'll find that the age range of 90% of the people staying there is spread pretty evenly over 18-30, and that the remaining 10% can include everything from grizzled 70 year olds to families with young children running around.
Almost everyone I know who's gone backpacking did this after university, so at age 23-24.

3. Posted by rach6083 (Budding Member 53 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I went backpacking at 19 and felt very young, most people were 25-30 I would say! I'm off again next year and I'll be 24, my friend will be 31.

4. Posted by ausssiefan (Budding Member 5 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

have been in OZ/NZ few times and can say, u r not old :-) i`m feeling great there with 37 and can c how funny are the people ther ewith knowing nothing from the world... enjoy your stay in a great community in some backpacker hostels 1

all the best, ausssiefan

5. Posted by NantesFC (Respected Member 531 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Most people I met were between 22-30 years of age. You'll be okay. There are quite a few older travelers in hostels as well. If you're under 20, you're the minority. Most of them tend to travel to Europe and go there in groups (with friends) and stay in hotels. If they do stay in hostels, they'll be party hostels or those advertising fun otherwise. Either way, people are people no matter the age and you'll have fun with anyone unless they're a complete dirtbag ;)

6. Posted by aharrold45 (Travel Guru 1281 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I stayed at a hostel where one of the people staying in the same room as me was 83 years old and also stayed at a few places where fellow hostellers were 50-65, but generally 20-27 would be the age bracket the majority of people staying at hostels I've stayed at would fit under.

If you are not in to the whole 24/7 party thing like is generally stereotyped as a backpacker type traveller, you should try and stay at YHA hostels where possible because as they are normally quieter, well cleaned and rules related to quiet times etc strictly adhered to.

[ Edit: Edited on Feb 18, 2008, at 12:45 AM by aharrold45 ]

7. Posted by Gavin-D (Budding Member 81 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

aah good advice and well timed, i'm 26 soon and heading off down under, dont mind a party but not all the time. yha hostels you say. thanks for that.

8. Posted by david1982 (Budding Member 12 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

i am going out to sydney this weekend, planning on spending 6 months in aus. im 25 but from everyone ive spoken to i think ill prob be about the average age out there. which hostel are you booked into? fancy meeting up for a beer?


9. Posted by tays (Budding Member 43 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

yha hostels tend to have an older crowd which can be good if you want to have a bit of a rest and a decent nights sleep. but even at cheaper partying hostels 24 will still be young. you'll have a great time mate

10. Posted by nicola29 (Budding Member 21 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I say you are never too old to do anything you want in life. I am 29 soon and am off to new zealand end of year. I have travelled since i was 21. You know whatever you want in life just go for it, no matter how old you are. Society paints us a picture that we have to do this by that age, have family b4 you are 35 bull shit, every1 is individual