Brazilian Bureaucracy - Emergent help needed.

Travel Forums Central/South America & The Caribbean Brazilian Bureaucracy - Emergent help needed.

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Brazil
1. Posted by Tashira (Budding Member 9 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

So here is my story..

I am married to a Brazilian and am now asking for my permanent visa in Brazil. The visa requires certain documents of which one is my penalty register that I have to get from my country of residence (Spain) and that cannot be older than 3 months. I have this document but it is from June and I am here since October, it is impossible for me to have this document renewed except if I go to Spain personally and renew it. But then I would have to pay a 8.50 reals fine per day that I extended my 90 days tourist visa as my permanent visa protocol cannot be opened without that document.

Does anybody know if it is really possible that I have to pay 8.50 reals per day that I overstay my tourist visa in the birth & residence country of my husband?
Our marriage is transcribed here, so we are legally married in Brazil. Dont I supposedly have a residence permission in my husbands residence country, simply because I´m married to him?
At least in Europe it´s that way, he can enter and exit Europe as much and often as he wants and has a residence permission. How comes here I have to pay a fine to stay?

Anybody knows anything about these kind of cases? Or if there is a way to leave the country without having to pay the fine?

And also. Has anyone here ever overstayed a tourist visa without renewing it and had to pay this fine? If so, do they note this in your passport or in the computer? Because supportingly on your next entrance in the country you can only stay the 90 days of your tourist visa minus the days you extended the last time. What the heck is wrong here?

I reeeeally appreciate any kind of help or answer, specially cause my time is running, every day costs me around 3.50 euros

Thanks a lot,

2. Posted by michellemm (Full Member 109 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!


I'm a corporate lawyer and I have dealt a little bit with cases of foreigners trying to get a permanent visa in Brazil (but usually due to their jobs or companies, which is a little different).

Anyway, I think it doesn't matter if you're married to a Brazilian or not. The thing is that you must be legal here. If your situation is not legalized here, it doesn't matter your status.

Accordingly, if I'm not mistaken, each time you enter into Brazil you get a 90-day tourist visa. So, I'd suggest you either go to Spain and regularize your situation or leave Brazil (to Paraguai or Uruguai) and "re-enter". But the thing is, you must regularize your situation before doing so.

As I said, I'm not an expert and that's my personal opinion. But if you are interested I can recomend you to a professional who knows all these procedures better than I.


3. Posted by Tashira (Budding Member 9 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

So you think the best I can do is pay the fine, leave the country and come back as a tourist or with the documentation to ask for the visa. Right?

But what I don't understand is that by marrying I am not automatically legal in the residence country of my partner. Isn´t that strange?

Thanks a lot :)

4. Posted by michellemm (Full Member 109 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Yeah, that's right.

It is strange indeed, but I think you should had entered brazil already with a temporary visa... i don't know...

5. Posted by aarantes (Respected Member 165 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

I am a brazilian living in Spain. I used to live in Portugal and to get my spanish visa I had to get both criminal records, from Portugal and Brazil. I sent my mother a document authorizing her to get my criminal record for me in Brazil (it's also valid for 3 months). Can't you do the same here in Spain? Can't you ask someone to send it there for you?

Other thing you should consider. I cannot get my visa for Spain in Spain. I could do it either from Brazil or from Portugal, cause I legally lived there. I have no idea if it is the same in Brazil but you should ask it. Maybe you have to come to Spain anyway in order to get your visa...

I'm sorry I can't help you more. But I can say Bureaucracy is a pain in the ass anywhere. Unfortunatly that's something we have to go though when we decide lo live in a country that is not ours.

Good luck.


6. Posted by Tashira (Budding Member 9 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Quoting michellemm

Yeah, that's right.

It is strange indeed, but I think you should had entered brazil already with a temporary visa... i don't know...

I did come here with a 3 months tourist permission and the thought that I would be able to make my permanent visa in that time, but the transcription of the marriage took incredibly long and made it impossible to make the protocol in time. But well, I guess I'll just have to pay the fine and arrange all papers so that next time I come it works.. but who knows, then again they ask for something new.. I would have also renewed my tourist visa if I hadn't thought that I anyway was permitted to stay in Brazil by being married to a Brazilian citizen.. I had no clue that was not the case..

Bureaucracy is really a pain in the ass, and sometimes just impossible. I looked in the official internet site of the department that is in charge of my visa and there it said the documents I needed, they did not say anything about my criminal records and neither they pick up the phone to respond to your questions. And once you get there they tell you that the site is not actualized and that now you need a document that is impossible to arquieve.
But like you say, if you want to move globally, you'll sooner or later have to face it.
Unfortunately I wouldn't only have to personally pick it up in one city, but also stamp it in 3 different places and there is no one who could do that for me.. :(

7. Posted by Fast (Budding Member 37 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

You can not even submit the paperwork for a Permanent Visa unless you are in Brazil legally. After the paperwork is submitted plan on waiting 1 ½ years – 2 years for the visa. It took me 1 year and 7 months to get mine….

8. Posted by rioCH (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Hi Tash,

well, you seem to face two problems here: one is the problem of you extending the tourist visa and the other is to get your permanent visa for Brasil, right?
For the first problem I cannot really offer any help, as I have no experience with this.
The second: I also was here on a tourist visa, and tempted to get a permanent visa because my daughter is Brasilian.
So, off I went to PF in Rio to apply for my permanent visa, but the procedure never seemed to really take off. After more than one year (during which I had to leave and return several times, and got married to the Brasilian mother of my child), we were given the advice by PF to apply for the permanent visa via the consulate in my home country, because it would be much faster. So we did, and in fact, after 4 months, I got my Visa and subsequently got my protocol here in Rio easily.
My advice: save yourself a long period of uncertainty and headaches, apply for your visa via Brasilian consulate in your homecountry. During the time until you get the visa, you can always enter here as a tourist... BUT before you pack your bags: BE SURE TO GET ALL INFORMATION FROM THE CONSULATE REGARDING ALL REQUIREMENTS FOR YOUR CASE!

If you plan to apply for your visa here, and somehow extend your stay here legally by leaving and re-entering: keep in mind that once you apply for your permanent visa here, PF might call on you at some point in time, and if, by unlucky chance, you happen to be out of country at that point, your application for the visa will be buried under an unimaginable large pile of paperwork (effectively: your application process will simply stop...)..

Good luck to you

9. Posted by rioCH (Budding Member 2 posts) 10y Star this if you like it!

Hmm.. one more from me: forget to get the permanent visa here within the time your tourist visa permits your stay (even if you extend it to 180 days). Yes, theoretically your married status should allow you to live here, but the procedure to get the paperwork done and everything, will by far exceed any extension of your tourist visa.
Yes, bureaucracy here is amazing... but on the other hand, I am not sure how things would be for your Brasilian husband in Spain....