Expat ? Onward Ticket...........

Travel Forums Africa and The Middle East Expat ? Onward Ticket...........

Last Post This thread is marked as being about South Africa
1. Posted by gypsygirl6 (Budding Member 5 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hello all

Wondering if there is any dilema if entering JNB on a one-way tkt ( I am uk & Aus passport) and Im getting married to a Sth African in S.A

We are both at the moment living in London (UK)

We are staying for approx 2 and 1/2 months before flying to Melbourne and returning to JNB to live

Thing is I dont know when we are leaving JNB, so dont want to buy a ticket to Oz before we leave S.A....

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks


2. Posted by Strider (Budding Member 34 posts) 12y Star this if you like it!

Hi GG,

I am an SA boy living with my girlfriend from the UK in Jo'burg. So we have had similar issues... and I am hoping I can help.

Firstly, the ticket thing, they will not allow you to come into South Africa without some kind of proof that you are leaving within the 90 day period which your visitors visa allows. However, I was told the best way (read: cheapest) to handle this is buy a bus ticket out of South Africa (to Namibia, Mozambique... one of the neighbours), you can get them for around R300 depending on where you are going to go to (pretend to go to... ) You can then buy the ticket once you know when you want to leave, another little gem of info is that if you guys ultimately need to stay longer (beyond 90 days) you can pop over the border to one of the neighbours and the get another visa when you come back (which will last for 90 days).

Secondly, the work thing is very difficult for non-South Africans. My girlfriend was very lucky to get a transfer from her job in the UK to here in SA, it wasn't easy and it took allot of time and pushed our stress levels up slightly! Due to Affirmative Action and the high unemployment rate, South Africa really only wants to employ SA citizens, even temporary residents (that means you after gettiing married) don't get an outright right to work here... It is complicated so I suggest you approach the proffessionals. We used a company who were absolutely awesome, Intergrate Immigration, their website is http://www.intergate-immigration.com/ and I am sure they will be able to assist you in some way.

Anyway, hope this helps a little

All the best and good luck

Kind Regards
Ian Pollard
Strider Expeditions