Skip Navigation

Two Passports which to use in UK?

Travel Forums Europe Two Passports which to use in UK?

Last Post This thread is marked as being about United Kingdom
1. Posted by mbyrne0408 (Budding Member 3 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

I'm going to study abroad in England next year. I have dual nationality and two passports: US/Ireland. I am American born, Irish father. I don't know which passport I should use to enter England. (I know that I am required to use my US one when leaving and entering the US). If i was to use my Irish one to enter/leave UK--is that okay to do. Also, should I get a visa as I will be over there for 9 mths? If i do get a visa, I assume I should get a US one, but when I get over there I want to be able to use my Irish passport to get a job--is that all ok/legal? This is all so confusing.

Thanks alot I really need advice as I am going to need to apply for the visa in the coming week or so.

2. Posted by LittleHote (Inactive 78 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

I'd suggest that you contact the Home Office for a definitive answer. A bit of a google-around should come up with a government website that will help you.

Meanwhile, I would have thought that if you have a full Irish passport, that makes you an EU citizen with all the privileges that that implies: free movement throughout the EU, right to work, stay as long as you like, whatever.

3. Posted by janesgarde (Budding Member 41 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Hello MByrne

I suggest you look on the US equivalent of the foreign office web site.
THe UK site gives info for travellers, so excludes the UK.

I am guessing it would be simpler if the visa and passport relate to the same country, but whether the Irish one would be more advantageous than the US one, I wouldn't like to say.

Good luck

4. Posted by mbyrne0408 (Budding Member 3 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Yea i do have a full irish passport. but like the uk border agency site, the uk visa site, and the us sites are all so contradictory. and you cant call an embassy bc they charge you! so confusing.

5. Posted by mbyrne0408 (Budding Member 3 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

So just to show,

when you do the little questionaire on the uk visas website it asks three questions:

purpose of visit:
where you live currently:

so if i fill out study,ireland, us respectively it responds "European Economic Area citizens and Swiss nationals have the right of free movement and residence in the UK."

and if you read the document they have where it says do i need a visa to study in the uk, this is the response

"If you do not intend to work or stay in the UK for more than six months, you might wish to consider entering as a student visitor. More information is available in our Visitors (INF2) guidance on our website or from your nearest visa application centre.

You do not need an entry clearance as a student visitor if you are a non-visa national but, you will have to satisfy the Immigration Officer that you qualify for entry to study when you arrive in the UK. You must be able to show that you have been accepted on a course of study at an educational establishment that is on the Register of Education and Training Providers. They will then give you permission to stay in the UK for up to six months."

But i wouldn't be a student visitor, bc I'd be there fore more than 6 months.

6. Posted by Purdy (Travel Guru 3546 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Im not an expert - but surely it would be more advantegous for you to travel on your Irish passport - you can enter the UK for as long as you wish - ie you will be there for more than 6 months studying, this will cut down on the paper work l would expect you would need to complete and visas required should you travel on your US passport?

But like l say lm no expert and l have not researched any of this!


7. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Id go with Irish! the UK wont care where you came from as long as you are legal and can show legal documents and the stamps match up - if you leave UK with Irish use the Irish when coming back in. Be consistent.

8. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Irish passport, of course!

First, there is no border control between the UK and Ireland, as both countries have signed what they called a "Common Travel Area" agreement. Second, having an Irish citizenship also means you get European Union citizenship, which allows you to travel, work and study in any EU member countries with no restriction. You can stay for as long as you want. Passport is still required for identification though, especially when travelling between UK/Ireland and the Schengen Zone, which UK and Ireland are not part of.

9. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Exactly as Hien said - use your Irish passport to enter the UK! When entering the UK with a Irish passport, as per the Common Travel Area mentioned I believe you would be considered to have "indefinite leave to remain" (i.e. residency) from day 1.

If you use a US passport you would have to do whatever the new immigration rules require - I think it involves getting a student visa. Much less hassle using your Irish passport, and there will be no restrictions on working as well if you wanted to do that too.

10. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

...And a final follow up, there is no problem leaving the US with your US passport and entering the UK with your Irish one. Just make sure you show your US passport to the airline agent when exiting the US.

If the airline agent asks you about the length of your visits and your admissibility into the UK for a long amount of time, tell them you are entering the UK as an Irish citizen and as a member of the EU you are entitled to work and live there.