Skip Navigation

Eurail pass

Travel Forums Europe Eurail pass

1. Posted by Larrison (First Time Poster 1 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

I'm an Australian with a British passport moving to London in September and planning on buying a Eurail pass- is it ok for me to travel using my Australian passport even though i will have entered the UK on my British passport?

2. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

When travelling on your Australian passport, you obviously need to comply with visa regulations that are in place for Australians (if any). That said, since the UK isn't part of the Schengen zone, I don't suppose it makes much difference which one you choose.

3. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Actually, there is a difference. Having a British passport, you are an EU citizen as well and thus not bound by the 90 days in 180 days rule for the Schengen zone. Plus, when entering the Schengen zone, depending on the checkpoint, there is a special clearance lane for European citizens only.

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Yes, you can travel with Eurail in this instance. Note that you need to buy the Eurail pass before you leave for Europe. Also note that you should compare the price of the Interrail passes. For some countries and routes Interrail works better.

Eurail passes are for tourists who are non-EU residents, it doesn't matter which passport you have. If you had only the British passport and a residency permit for Australia in it you could still use the Eurail pass as you would have proof that you are a legal resident of Australia, do not live in Europe and thus are a tourist from a non-EU country.

The problem is that you'll have moved to London by the time you use your Eurail pass so technically you need to buy an Interrail pass, but I think you can get away with using a Eurail pass in the first 6 months or so of being in Europe.

Note: When travelling in the EU you should always show your British passport to police, customs and immigration officials.

And immigration and travelling on a Eurail pass are 2 different things. In the first instance you deal with government officials while on the train it is the conductor, a private employee of the train company.

Post 5 was removed by a moderator