Skip Navigation



1. Posted by DOC123 (Budding Member 2 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!


i am hopeing to travel to the us in september and i have a criminal record when i was about 15 i am now 43 and was wondering if there would be a problem . any info would be great

thanks Dave

2. Posted by Isadora (Travel Guru 13926 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

It will all depend on what crime was committed and if you paid your penance. But, considering the offense was 28 years ago, I doubt there will be too much trouble with immigration. The only absolute way of finding out for sure is by contacting the US Embassy in your country of residence. It may take a few phone calls or making an appointment to speak to someone in person, but well worth the effort. Those who have posted similar questions and gone through the correct channels have been happy with the results. They have been allowed entry. Talk with the people who have the answers.

3. Posted by DOC123 (Budding Member 2 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!


Thanks for replying and will try and contact the us embassy if i can find the number its out there some where . and will let you know how i got on

4. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Dave, this should help you.
List of all US Embassies, Consulates and Diplomatic Missions

5. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Definitely contact the embassy. Even though it was long ago, you are much better off getting them to give you the proper visa than chancing a visit without it.

I have a friend who was denied entry to the USA for a criminal conviction on his record from 20 years ago. He had travelled to the USA multiple times in the past, but this one time the customs and immigration guys were just a little more thorough in their checks and came across his conviction, and denied him entry. They told him to return to his home country (easy for him, as he was in Canada at pre-clearance - much more expensive if you are flying in from somewhere else), apply for a visa and that they would consider the case. He made the mistake of trying to cross the next day, and now he can't go to the USA for two years, and will need to apply for a visa for any future visits after that.