Tax returns

Travel Forums General Talk Tax returns

1. Posted by Gavin-D (Budding Member 81 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

Hey folks, my travels of australia nearly at an end, been working in sydney for 3 months now and have accumulated a bit of tax on my pay. how do i apply to get this back?? my last working day is this upcoming friday and i leave australia 10 days later.

do i wait til i'm back in the uk to claim the tax back or do it while i'm still here. and how do i go about doing it.

any help welcome i'm short for cash and this would be a welcomed boost to a pitiful bank account lol

2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

By the sounds of it, you have 2 tax years to deal with (the Australian tax year being 1 July-30 June). There are companies such as TaxBack that specialise in getting tax refunds for travellers, at a fee of course. It might be worth considering if you want the hassle taken out of it.

3. Posted by thejohn (Full Member 13 posts) 15y Star this if you like it!

Go to the ATO website and download the e-Tax software under the section for individuals.

You will only need your group certificates (this is an earnings summary given to you by all your employers during the financial year). e-Tax is very easy to use, mostly Yes/No questions. If you are due a return you have the option to have it paid directly into your bank account (I assume only Australian bank accounts) and you will probably get it within 14 days.

As mojorob said, if you started work in June, you will need to do a tax return for the year ending 30th June 2008 and another tax return next year for the year ending 30th June 2009.

I wouldn't use a third party company, e-Tax is really easy to use. If you have problems with things like defining your residency status then phone the ATO and ask them.