Skip Navigation

Working in the US....Visa Help needed

Travel Forums North America Working in the US....Visa Help needed

1. Posted by ladybug66 (Budding Member 42 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Hey All!

I've been reading up and it seems to be extremely difficult to get into the US for the purpose of working for a year (or more).

Basically I am hoping to travel to the US next year with my boyfriend and get jobs temporarily. We're both Irish. It seems, however, that it's not plain sailing like Oz or New Zealand.

I'm a legal secretary (with a degree in business & law) and my bf if a sales man. He has brothers living over (as students) there already hence the desire to travel over.
Is there any Visa that would apply to us? And do we need to secure a job before travelling? Is it worth it?!

Any advice would be grateful!


2. Posted by Isadora (Travel Guru 13926 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

The US does not offer the equivalent of "Working Holiday Visas" that other countries (NZ, OZ, UK, Canada) have available. Basically, the choices are coming through as a temporary visitor for 90 days then having the visa extended or securing a position prior to your arrival. The first option does not allow employment while you are in country. The second option does require either an H1-B or H2-B visa and (more than likely) the sponsorship of the US company offering you a position.

There are those who do find jobs "under the table" to earn extra money (food service, bartending, etc) but they tend to only work for very short periods of time. If caught, you will face deportation. Because of your skills, I would recommend looking into securing positions prior to your visit and apply for the best suited visa. The US Embassy in your region should be able to help you with what paperwork will be required so you will not be in violation of any laws.

US Department of State - Visas
US Embassies & Consulate Location List

3. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3579 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

I did meet several young foreign ladies out at Primm, our border casinos with Calif. It seems the Primm resorts hire Polish students, 25 or younger on 6 month working visas. They need the help and the students are eager to come to the US and make some money. A win, win situation. But unless you are a fulltime student, age 25 or less, this option will not work. With our current economy, I doubt that any company will need to go outside the US to find employees. Just a tough time for all right now.

Post 4 was removed by a moderator