Skip Navigation

Solo Camper Van Man

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Solo Camper Van Man

1. Posted by brady5885 (Budding Member 59 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Im travelling to oz in about march time on my own, i want to do this in a camper van so i can travel round easily with my gear.
just need info on what u need to be driving.... obviously a licence

Insurance?? -- do u need it and how much will it cost roughly( im 23)---- and how would you get it if u dont have a fixed address??

what bout tax and MOT.... or is it rego over there??? what will this set u back?

im on a WHV for a year and will extend if i want to stay longer..

wheres good to go in a camper.. i want to get into kiteboarding as i do landboarding ..... where seems to be good for this(windy)


2. Posted by JohnConnis (Budding Member 4 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Your british license is fine to use over there...
insurance is on the vehicle, not the driver, i think 3rd party cost's around £200 for a year.
It's supposedly rego, i'm not quite sure what this means, so if anyone has more info, as this will be helping me too!

3. Posted by SheIsFree (Full Member 24 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Yeah, you'll need to get the car/van registered in whichever state you buy it in. Because car rego's are a State Government thing, the price of rego will vary depending on where you decide to buy the vehicle. It might be worthwhile checking out the different states prices first, as I think there can be big price differences.

Here's a link to the RTA with some info on buying a car NSW:

I think the motor registry in Victoria is called VicRoads, but not sure what the other states are called. I've heard its cheaper to register a vehicle in Queensland, WA or SA, but not sure.

Third Party insurance is compulsory - you can't register a vehicle without it. If you want to get the vehicle itself insured against theft or damage, this is a separate policy and can be expensive so get a few quotes first. I've paid anywhere between $400 and $1000 for that kind of insurance.

Also, you have to pay stamp duty when you buy a second hand car which will be included in the rego. Hope that helps!

4. Posted by lavenlaar (Budding Member 46 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

if buying privately, dont forget the registration transfer fee. think its 1% of vehicle cost or market value. The way around this extra fee is to say the vehicle you bought was cheaper than you paid for it on the back of the papers.
IMPORTANT - run the vehicle against a thing called REVS ! lingo = REVS CHECK IT, make sure it aint re-birthed or stolen. its just a phone number you check the chassis # / engine # against the rego sticker.

3RD party or Green slip (as known by) is compulsory - covers the other persons car and medical costs
Full comprehensive - not needed if buying an older car (not worth it) unless you want it covered against fire/theft/accident
Strongly recommend NRMA ROADSIDE ASSIST - in case of breakdown - google it.

not sure in regards to overseas drivers - just buy a car with 12mth rego on it

windy places ???? ?
South Australia - from the Bight to Lake Eire

enjoy your trip

5. Posted by brady5885 (Budding Member 59 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

thanks for the good info, will look into it all and price it all up

cheers again guys