Skip Navigation

Moving to England

Travel Forums General Talk Moving to England

1. Posted by Samroo326 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Hi everyone! New at this forum, so bear with me.
I have had an OBSESSION with London and Ireland since before I can remember. It's always been a dream of mine to visit. However, lately, I've been thinking about going to live there for a year or two. I am a writer, and my fiance works with computers. I know here, in Canada, there is a large demand for computer associates, what is it like there? I think that to work there, you need a work VISA, correct? If my fiance doesn't have any family from there, but I do, does it make it easier for him to get a work Visa?

How would we go about moving there? Obviously, I would like to find some jobs before moving, but what does moving there entail? Do i have to get a VISA straight away? What happens if I have a grandmother (or great-grandmother?) who was born there. I would really like to move there in the future but not knowing all the fundamentals is really scary. Is there anyone who has done this in the past? Or anyone who knows what I should do first and formost, and then what comes after.

Thanks everyone!!!


2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

You don't mention your citizenship, however as you mentioned you're in Canada I will presume you are Canadian.

If you have a grandparent born in the UK, and you are a Commonwealth citizen (which of course includes Canada), then you may be eligible for entry to the UK under the Ancestry arrangement - details here.

The fact you have family from the UK (is this current or past?) will most likely not make any difference for your fiance. He would need a visa of his own, as he would only be able to accompany you if he has one. The UK immigration rules are currently being changed, making the rules simpler but not necessarily entry to the country! Your fiance obtaining a visa may depend on exactly what work he does, and if there's an appropriate visa category he fits into.

UK visa information can be found at:
UK Visas
UK Border Agency

3. Posted by rhysv (Inactive 22 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

You'll be able to get a working visa no worries... the issue will be finding work had a few friends over there that have had to come back due to a lack of work. The credit crisis has hit the UK pretty hard, but if you can line up work before you go over you'll be in a good position. In saying that your not technically allow to look for work on a working visa till it officially approved when you arrive.

4. Posted by karlyfu (Budding Member 62 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Actually I think the working holiday visa has changed in that you can find a job before you go? Just recently in November they changed a few rules.

5. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

mojorob has already answered the question about your visa situation (assuming you had a GRANDPARENT from here - a great grandparent would be too far away).

For your fiance, you saw he works with computers. That's a pretty vague statement, but if I assume that means he is in IT with an appropriate degree and some work experience, he could most likely come over as a skilled worker. There is a points calculator that your fiance can use to see how he stacks up. He will need to find a job first, which complicates things as many employers will not want to sponsor someone when there are people they can hire without sponsoring.

For IT, there are a few places I can suggest to check., The IT Job Board and Jobsite are all decent. Moreso than in Canada, recruiters are used by organizations to hire skilled workers.

As others have pointed out, the credit crunch has impacted things. There are still opportunities, but there is a lot of people out there looking, and it took me 8 months to find full time employment after moving here - and that was looking from the UK.

Best bet - if your fiance is already employed and the company is global, see if he can get an intra-company transfer to the UK office. That truly is the easiest way to get here for those who can't get an ancestry visa.


6. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Actually, to amend my last statement - your fiance could apply as a Tier 1 highly skilled worker as well, which wouldn't require a sponsor or a job. Check out this page.

Posts 7 - 9 were removed by moderators