Contract or temporary work in Oz

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Contract or temporary work in Oz

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by indy106 (Budding Member 4 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Hello !!!

I'm planning to stay in Oz for a couple of months up to a 1 year. I was wondering if someone had experience finding jobs related to there profession. I would like to find a small contract ( 4 to 6 months) in engineering ! Is it possible? and if so, what's the best way to go about it !!

Any tips ?

2. Posted by stevieh (Respected Member 615 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Can you not arrange anything through a company in this country before you go? Probably the best way.

3. Posted by philou (First Time Poster 1 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

stevieh your idea is lovely, I like it, but how to find an employer in OZ/NZ? I wanted to apply in temporary work agencies, but I don't find one, could you tip me for this? Anyone has links?
Actually I'm french and I'd like to find a payed trainee job for 4-5 month between april and july/august, as I have a postgraduate diploma in civil engineering...
Can you tell me if I have to have first a visa, or first an employer?
Does a one year workinb holiday visa suit?
Thanks a lot

4. Posted by happycat (Budding Member 37 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!


If you want to do any work (legally) you will need a working holiday visa and a Tax File Number. They are usually pretty quick to apply for. Unfortunately the Oz government charge travellers 29% tax on income which I think is outrageous!

You can get some cash in hand jobs but only doing work in cafes, restaurants and handing out leaflets.

There are agencies for office and manual jobs, not sure about engineering work.

You are only allowed to work for 3 months with 1 company, once that time is up you can work for another company for maximum of 3 months.

If you can find work before you go, try will save you a lot of time when you get there.

Hope this helps.

5. Posted by moutallica (Full Member 122 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Sorry for going a bit off topic here, but do you get any of that 29% of taxes back when you leave? like a refund or something?

6. Posted by happycat (Budding Member 37 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Yes you can try to claim some of the money back, make sure you keep all pay slips. Apparently there is a company in the UK that can help you, they take a small commission. Its usually only worthwhile if you work for a long time over there. I only worked for 4 weeks and there is no point claiming the money back.