Skip Navigation

UK resident seeking to live and work in the USA

Travel Forums North America UK resident seeking to live and work in the USA

Last Post This thread is marked as being about USA
1. Posted by NYMaurice (First Time Poster 1 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!


This is my first post.....

I'm seriously considering moving to the U.S.A for work in the next 18 months and want to start planning it but have to confess I know very little about the US policy on work. I suspect it's very difficult but wondered if someone could give me a little advice and guidance on the policy and what my chances of gaining full time employment would be?

My background is in the utility/energy sector and has been for the last 9 years working in business development across B2B markets and new connections and more recently incorporating low carbon technologies. I have a bachelors degree and post graduate diploma in business.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. Posted by Daawgon (Travel Guru 2012 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

I believe your best bet would be to enlist the private sector instead of the government. Here's a list of the big utilities:

You could not have picked a worse time to be looking for employment - anywhere!

[ Edit: Edited on 09-Feb-2009, at 08:31 by Daawgon ]

3. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

You say that you are a UK resident. Does that mean UK citizen as well? Assuming that (or basically, that you aren't a citizen of a country like Canada, Mexico or Chile with a free trade agreement in place), you'll need to get a job before you get a visa.

Basically, unless you get an employer to sponsor you, you probably aren't going to get a visa. Therefore, your best bet is to look for a job in the USA with an employer that is willing to sponsor you. If you are currently employed, see if you can transfer. If not employed, starting scouring job sites and contact some recruiters.

Based on what you have said, you would probably be looking for an H1-B or L1 visa.

A couple sites to check out with details are United States and Travel-dot-state-dot-gov.