needed help for a road trip 2005

Travel Forums North America needed help for a road trip 2005

1. Posted by vern (Budding Member 5 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

does anyone know how i go about registering and insuring a car in America for a Road Trip for three months, i'm from the uk and plan to buy a car out there...then hittin the road


big vern

2. Posted by remarcable (Respected Member 335 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

Hi vern..

If you are buying a car from dealership, it will be taken care of by the dealer . You just need to show proof of insurance 2 drive it of the lot . If you buy it from a private party, you take the registration, proof insurance, buyer/seller agreement, and smog certificate to the DMV. I think you got a week to do it.

Check out It has the proper forms and information. Word of advise.. make an appointment. The lines at the DMV suck!

Good luck,

3. Posted by friscokid (Full Member 122 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

Are you a risk taker? if you by from a dealer -- tell them you have insurance already (if you do you are automatically covered by that insurnace for 30 days and thats all the dealer cares about). Of course you don't have American insurance (although you can purchase it). If you purchase a car its automatically insured.

You might want to consider renting vs. buying because rentals are cheaper. Alamo and Hertz are your best bet for 3 month rentals which includes unlimited mileage.

4. Posted by cindyyhe (Budding Member 7 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

I am thinking about take the road trip in US as well. Let me know when do you want to do so. if the time suitable for me, maybe we could do it together.