Skip Navigation

Claiming back Superannuation when leaving Australia

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Claiming back Superannuation when leaving Australia

1. Posted by jadeverell (Respected Member 255 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!


Has anyone had any past experince of working in Australia and claiming back their superannuation when departing the country. I have been doing some research and it appears that there are two methods, either you can do it through an agency such as Travellers xpress etc and pay a small admin fee Or do it yourself at the airport when leaving the country.

I found this brochure ( Which seems to make sense, but i just wanted to know if anyone else has done it at the airport and if they received their super back successfully?

Any advice would be great!



2. Posted by char1208 (Inactive 26 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!


Im leaving Oz next week after 2 years backpacking here! sob sob
Anyway, im claiming back my Super right now. All i did was contact all the agencies i have worked for, and asked who my superannuation companies were..then i called up the companys and told them i am leaving oz and want my super back. They then email you some forms where you just fill in your details etc and they send you a cheque to your Uk address!! The only thing is your passport has to be certified, and a you need to send them a certified copy of your departure stamp in your passport...hence why theres only so much you can do from Australia. I was going to claim mine back through travellersxpress as i did my tax back with them but after talking to my super companys they said theyl send me my money for free! Alot of ppl make the mistake of going through a companywhen all it takes is a few emails! Good luck, let me know if u have any questions! Charlotte

3. Posted by jadeverell (Respected Member 255 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Hey Charlotte , thanks for letting me know.

It appears that the process for claiming Super back is alot simplier that claiming Tax back. Therefore, i think i am going to do what you did and claim my Tax back via travellersexperess, and claim my super back independently.

So i am guessing that you can only complete the application process when you have left Australia as they need the departure stamp. Do you plan to simply fax or post a copy to them and send all the forms back together?

Thanks again.


4. Posted by jadeverell (Respected Member 255 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Also, how did you find travellersexpress when claiming your Tax back.

Did you have any problems with them, and how much of my tax can i expect to receive back. I think it depends of different factors i.e. amount earnt, time in Oz etc but do you have a ball park percentage?

Finallly how much did they charge you for their services?



Post 5 was removed by a moderator
6. Posted by hmclehto (Full Member 142 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Don't spend any money for paying for an agent to claim your tax back. It is fairly straight forward just click taxation department web page

Good luck

7. Posted by joanimalx (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

hi, ive been looking at everyones blogs about climing superannation back but im still struggling as i have no membership numbers for my funds to be able to claim, does anyone know how to find out membership numbers so i can start my claim. ive been on the super web sites because i know the funds im with but have had no luck in finding the infomation that i need. be greaful to anyone that could help me with this.
thanks joanna

Post 8 was removed by a moderator