Visas and Visa runs...ADVICE NEEDED

Travel Forums Asia Visas and Visa runs...ADVICE NEEDED

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post This thread is marked as being about Thailand
1. Posted by jordy (Full Member 54 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Heelo everyone...

i am a uk citizen and am planing a trip 2 thailand for a few months.

do i need a visa i believe u get can get a 30 day upon arrival but have to do a "visa run".

if this is or is not the case advice would be most appreciated.


2. Posted by chorpet (Inactive 110 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

As per information on hand Passport holders from UK do not require a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes if their stay in the Kingdom does not exceed 30 days

If you wish to stay longer, you can extend it at the border of thailand.

For more info, you may check at below link

3. Posted by 2theD (Inactive 12 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

If you apply for the VISA before you leave, you will get a 90-day VISA (or so I've been told). Otherwise, you need to one of the main borders (Arunyaprathet, Ranong, Nong Khai, Mae Sai, or the Malayisan border. I suggest staying away from Arunyaprathet, it's like the armpit of the world rigth around that border. Just went there, hated getting hastled by all this lowlifes trying to "help me." And by "help me" I mean "take my money." I'm no expert on the VISA situation... it's so complicated not even the damn government knows what they're doing.

This is just me ranting. Er... but it's true.

Mike D.

4. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Respected Member 550 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

I'm going to Thailand for two months as well and I had the option of getting the 30 day visa at the airport and then doing a visa run, or you can also buy a 60 day visa in advance. This costs £25 but it's the option I've decided to go for purely for the convenience of not having to waste a day heading for the border and back.

The only daft thing is that the Thai Consulate website says you can't apply for the 60 day visa until 30 days before you want to enter Thailand.

5. Posted by jordy (Full Member 54 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Thanks for the replies

Can u purchase the 60 day visa upon entry to Thailand or do u have to get it prior to entry.

if that is the case i am not sure of my exact entry date as i will be travelling up from singapore through malaysia then to thailand.

does anyone know how that would work with visas and stuff..

One last thing has anyone got any advice on Chinese Visas

Thanks again


6. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Hi Jordan,

If worse comes to worst, you believe can always go back to Malaysia for a few days and return to Thailand for another 30 days after that.

Anyway, I'd suggest that you call the Thai Embassy for more info.

For info on Chinese visa, check out these links.

This link may be useful for your travel too.

BTW, what's a "visa run"?


7. Posted by jordy (Full Member 54 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

A visa run i am told is when u skip across the boarder to revalidate or get a new visa, ie leave the country and come back.

cheers for the advice

8. Posted by travelfish (Full Member 75 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

If you go to a Thai consulate o/s and get a visa (the two month one) before you arrive, the dates you specify on the application form are arbitary - the visa doesn't start to "run out" until you've entered Thailand.

The comment about extending the visa at the border is incorrect. You can extend a tourist visa at just about any immigration office in the country - depending on the office they'll give you 15 to 30 days more, the cost is 1,900B and you need one photo - takes about ten minutes.

You can also cross the border and come back in on anothr 30 day visa as others have suggested. I concur with the comments about Aranyprathet - it is a hole. ore popular places for visa runs are the Malay border and hoping over into burma from Mai Sai in Thailand.

You cannot get a 60 day visa on entry. The easiest aproach, is to go to a Thai Cosuate in Singapore or Malaysia and apply for a two month tourist visa - normally takes a day or two to process, then once you have it you don't need to worry about it.

I've also never heard of the requirement mentioned by Emmett70 about having to apply for a visa within 30 of entry, but individual requirements vary from consulate to consulate - The process in both Singapore and Malaysia are straightforward.

Hope this helps!
The online guide to Cambodia, Laos and Thailand

9. Posted by jordy (Full Member 54 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Hello there Mr Fish!!!

u r saying that i should get my 60 day thai visa from KL in singapore (for example) then if i want extend it with a trip to a immigration office at some point to extend it . that all sounds fine and dandie.
Do u know if its easy to get a thai visa from KL or does it take a while
Also is the idea of cross the boarder into Laos or somewhere else a good idea to extend, or get a new 30 day visa, if i am out that way anyway

Thanks again


10. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Hi Jordan,

Contact the Thai Embassy in KL about the procedures.

Royal Thai Embassy
Head of Mission: H.E. Chaisiri Anamarn (Ambassador Extraordianry and Plenipotentiary)

Address: 206, Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur

Telephone No:
Chancery: +60 3 2148 8222/8350, +60 3 2148 8420/2145 8004
Consular: +60 3 2148 6573 (Tel/Fax)
Defence: +60 3 2148 7783/6578
Commercial: +60 3 2142 4601/5349, +60 3 2145 8545

E-mail address:

Office: Monday - Friday
Hours: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm

(Note: Malaysian time is GMT+8)

A complete list of foreign missions in KL: