Travel Insurance Help !!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Travel Insurance Help !!

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
1. Posted by fimbria25 (Full Member 120 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

im planning to go to Oz for a year and currently looking at travel insurance, for whist im travelling.

Can anyone recommend any companies, that they have dealt with or found a good deal with??

and also how easy is it to claim, if there is a need to?


2. Posted by Clarabell (Travel Guru 1696 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

I will be watching this thread closely too, as I'm not sure which to choose.

You need to speak to people who have had stuff go pear-shaped and have had to make a claim. I have been recommended two by different people who have both had lots going wrong.

A family friend recommended "Backpackers insurance" I think it's called. She had a horrific motorbike accident in South Africa and they had her mum on a flight out v. quickly with hotel sorted etc and she was in hospital ages, but the insurance company got it all sorted.

Another friend got e-coli on one trip and malaria on another and a few other hospital trips (lucky girl) she recommends the insurance from STA travel.

Can anyone offer any experience of making claims and which companies to they recommend or which to avoid?

3. Posted by rogerb (Full Member 50 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Hi Gaz & Lil Liz,

STA Travel Insurance is out! You have to be a resident of U.S.A or Canada to buy this. It would cost you £364 ($670) anyway!

I’ve researched many insurance companies and found this one to be about the best value for money…. Take the ‘Single Trip’ cover and for a very little extra take the ‘excess waver’, it’s well worth it! (I’ve found that in general, over the years most of my claims have been for amounts less than the excess waver…. For example - Sunglasses £30 - A one off Dr constancy & proscription £50/100 - Money £50 - Delayed baggage £50….These little things mount up and for an extra £3.50 it’s well worth taking the ‘excess waver’)

12 months in OZ will cost you £324 and you should be ‘bullet proof’ !

You usually get a cheque within 10 working days from the date they receive your claim form. Don't forget to report ALL losses and thefts to the local police and keep the paperwork.

Hope this helps, Roger ;)

4. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Respected Member 550 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

I've recently bought a 5 month worldwide policy for £69. There's no cover for money or possessions and there's a £75 excess so basically it's only any good if you're only interested in medical cover and nothing else.

The website is:

They also do policies with a higher grade of cover and the price is still pretty good.

If you want a policy with cover for money and possessions and an option for no excess then I used Columbus last year and they were quite reasonable as well. I didn't make a claim through them but I stupidly booked the policy for the wrong dates and when I needed to change it at the last minute they went out of their way to help me.

One company I wouldn't recommend is STA Travel. I always use them for flights but their insurance policies are overpriced. Also, the one time I needed to make a claim they disputed that they were liable until I went to the Insurance Ombudsman and then they suddenly changed their mind and decided to pay up.

5. Posted by betty2 (Budding Member 6 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

I've been looking at insurance with insure and go which is really good cover. Covers you for bungee jumping white water rafting and loads of other sports that you may be taking part in that are not normally covered by other insurance policies, also has a dental cover of up to £250 which never normally features on holiday insurance either. You can opt to cover you money and personal possesions if you want but it only costs about £7 extra and worth it I think and the excess is £60 but again if you pay about another £5 you can waive this. It's costing me £83 for the full cover for 3 months and their cover for medical issues is really good too.

6. Posted by BeckyR (Full Member 174 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Hi, if you are going for less than a year still do consider buying annual insurance rather than one off trips since they will be a lot cheaper and the cover more comprehensive.

If you are still living at home at parents, check with them whether or not they have got annual insurance, since you are likely to be covered as well or they can add you for a very small fee.

Do watch out for the small print, and having been involved with repatriating patients, so review how you are covered in each country .. this even includes travelling in the UK for UK residents!


7. Posted by rogerb (Full Member 50 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Annual Insurance is for 'Multi Trip' insurance and only covers journeys up to 31 days each!
If you are away for more than 31 days it only makes sense to take out 'Single Trip' insurance!!!! - 12 months in OZ would be £324 (with Excess Waver)

Equiverlant: 12 months in OZ would be £476

But Emmet’s message (above) recommending BACKPACKINSURANCE seems a fair option! It would only cost you £153 for 12 months in OZ but no excess waver……. But with the saving you would make on the premium would cover you for a few claims without excess waver……. Good man Emmet!

8. Posted by fimbria25 (Full Member 120 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

thanks for the help.

I had a look at "insure and go" i got a policy quote for "Backpacker Gold" insurance for £202, does that sound right? compared to the amount you were quoting does seem much??

9. Posted by rogerb (Full Member 50 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Yep.... Looks cool to me!!
I missed the Backpackers insurance with Insureandgo....

10. Posted by fimbria25 (Full Member 120 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

how does the claim procedure work? say when im in oz, how do i go about claiming as it wont be that easy to have paperwork sent to me??? any ideas?

thanks again