Skip Navigation


Travel Forums Asia Visa

1. Posted by suohaihong (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I'm an American citizen on a student visa in Beijing. My student visa expires at the end of July, but I have a flight scheduled for the middle of August. I have already checked my options within China (there are none). I must apply for the tourist visa outside of China, P.R.C. Is it possible for me to apply for the visa in Hong Kong? How about Macau? Generally, how long will the processing take? Must I wait until my student visa expires first?

2. Posted by Erik85 (Respected Member 274 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I'm going off a secondary source, but a friend was working in China and was able to travel to Hong Kong to extend his visa - so I'm assuming you should be able to do this too. He said that with the authorities he could get a visa each time, but as for the amount of time it was hit and miss ie. sometimes they would give him 1 month, other times 2 months, etc.

Not sure exactly how long processing takes. Going by common sense, you should be able to apply for it before your student visa expires - but common sense doesn't always prevail I guess. Assuming you could get a month, perhaps it would best be to apply around 2 weeks before your student visa expires.

That's all I can give...hopefully others can help your further.

3. Posted by suohaihong (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Thanks so much for the info.

I have gathered from several people that applying in Hong Kong shouldn't be a problem. Now I'm trying to find out if Macau is also an option.