Skip Navigation

Where and how to move

Travel Forums Europe Where and how to move

1. Posted by solidjacks (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

This is a very broad question but I can't seem to find a good answer for it, maybe this is because it is so broad. Anyway here it goes:
My long time girlfriend and I live in the US and are ready to get out of here. We are young, early 20's, I am a photographer and she is a human services major (social work, non profit). Not that we expect to have jobs in our desired field right away. I'm looking to find somewhere to live that is close to a major city if not within it. Expenses are the main concern however. I guess the questions are what are some European countries/cities with a living cost that is moderate with a good standard of living, and has a good enough economy that jobs would be available. We are a little overwhelmed with all that is involved in this decision but, ready to go for it. We just help finding a starting point. Thanks for any info/suggestions. If you can, please give me standard living costs (housing, food, utilities, etc) with your suggestions. Thanks again!

2. Posted by renatolaza (Budding Member 23 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

l guess that nobody answering the question is not a good sign

too bad l wanted to do the exact same thing as you

3. Posted by fabyomama (Respected Member 560 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Take a few months out, travel Europe - and have a great time deciding for yourselves. ;)

4. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Unless you or the mrs happen to be an EU citizen, your main concern is not expenses but how to get in and stay in. If you don't have a valid reason (looking for a job not being one of these), you won't get anything beyond a short term tourist visa. Europe thinks it doesn't need any fortune-seekers, and is therefore very difficult to enter: I am not saying that is wise, but it is the situation you have to deal with. (Semi-)illegal residence in Europe, like many latinos do in the US, is definitely not recommended, if only because the chances of being caught are MUCH higher than in the US.

If you want your query to be more fruitful, you really need to be more specific. We're glad to help, but in your case I don't know where to begin!

[ Edit: Edited on 18-Jun-2009, at 08:29 by bentivogli ]

5. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

What bentivogli says is the following:

You cannot just move to Europe. You need to get a residency permit to live there and a work permit to work there. Residency permit is easy if you are a millionaire, but since you are not you'll be struggling. Work permit is complety "forget about it", unless you have a job that is in high demand (IT specialist, engineer, medical, etc).

As a photographer you could become self-employed or work freelance, work permits for this type of work can be easier to get. (I happen to know Germany is kinda lax in this regard, but I would not want to live on freelance photography work in Germany - very tough.)

Your gf should look at doing masters in social work, IIRC this sort of degree was highly sought in the UK.