Skip Navigation

Is there a Doctor in the house?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Is there a Doctor in the house?

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by brittchic8 (Full Member 33 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Me and my friend are going to be going to Oz in Jan for a year travelling and working around and we were wondering what we should do about registering with a Doctor as we wont be in any one place for much longer than a few months at a time.
I'm hoping that we wont need a Doctor but it's best to have all things covered.

2. Posted by stevieh (Respected Member 615 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi Natalie,
You're right to be safe I guess, although I didn't register myself!
What you're supposed to do is register with the Australian equivalent of the NHS, which I think is called Medic-Aid.
This basically lets them know you are in the country and to treat you should you require it.
You should be able to do this in most towns, but best do it in whichever city you arrive.

3. Posted by Peter (Admin 6427 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

As stevie says, there's no need to register with a doctor specifically - you can just go to any one you choose when you need to. The system here is called Medicare actually and if your country has a reciprocal agreement (I'd assume the UK does), you should be eligible to use it as well.

Basically, you just go to a doctor, then get a receipt and take that to a Medicare office for a refund. Depending on which doctor you go to, not all of it can necessarily be claimed. Often better doctors charge an extra fee. The best thing you can do though is to get a good travel insurance with good medical coverage as well. Some of the year long policies are quite affordable.