Skip Navigation

help choosing a school in europe

Travel Forums Europe help choosing a school in europe

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
1. Posted by Kels_Bama (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi im a american high school student.
I was wondering where would be a good country abroad to go to school.
I want to go all four years if possible.
My school doesnt offer AP classes.
I want to major in nursing.
I also want to minor in pyschology or some type of law studies.
I speak passable french.
Willing to learn any other language.
What universities would accept me without AP classes.
Any type of help would be great.

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Are you looking for a school in Europe that is similar to a highschool? Or do you want to go to college in Europe?

If you want to go to Highschool:

Europe's school system is different. First off you'd have to attend a boarding school. At the Swiss and UK boarding schools your school leaving certificate would be the International A-Level. Lots of very theoretical stuff, because in a way the International A-level are more similar to a GenEd college degree than a highschool diploma. Good if you want to become a doctor or a lawyer, but a nurse? The boarding schools are quite expensive, the other students are usually the kids of rich parents. It is similar to a very posh prep school. (Or Hogwarts, if you have read or seen Harry Potter. )

3. Posted by magykal1 (Travel Guru 2026 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Kels what are AP classes? and why would you normally need them?

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5175 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Quoting t_maia

Are you looking for a school in Europe that is similar to a highschool? Or do you want to go to college in Europe?

The latter. "AP classes" are "Advanced Placement" classes, a preparatory program for university which greatly increases the chance (I hope I'm saying this right - very much not my area of expersise) of getting into the top level universities in the USA like Yale and Harvard. (Kelsey also asked "What universities would accept me without AP classes.")

...and I was going to add on to my answer here with some information about the way Dutch university education is structured, but actually checking a site of one of the universities, I find they've completely re-arranged the entire system again, and I don't have a clue about it anymore, so I'll refrain from misinforming you...

One thing which I can say is that at Dutch universities you don't choose to go for either a Bachelor or a Master's degree, but that you instead study for a few years first to get a Bachelor, and then you have the choice to continue for two (?) years to get a Master's. The Bachelor's part of this is completely in Dutch (and if you as an overseas student would want to participate, you'd need to first complete an exam in the Dutch language, besides other requirements for the specific study), but the Master's part is guaranteed to be doable completely in English.

I don't know if AP classes translate to any European system at all. I suspect some universities might recognize them and accept them as proof of competence in the requisites for specific studies, but they should never be required (this is a complete guess) for entrance - just regular highschool level knowledge (as long as it includes the right courses) would be enough to be allowed into any university. (Albeit here in the Netherlands some very popular studies with limited spaces have a system where only those students with the highest grades are allowed in for certain, while all other students will have to go through a "lottery".)

[ Edit: Edited on 26-Jul-2009, at 14:51 by Sander ]

5. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Well, since it is university:

Germany doesn't allow you to just enroll you into uni. First you have to become fluent in German and second you have to take preparatory classes and pass exams that give you the equivalent of the lowest university entry qualification here in Germany. German universities do not recognise a highschool diploma as sufficient qualification, if you want to get in without any preparatory classes you need to have high SAT scores or done very well on your AP exams.

6. Posted by Kels_Bama (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Australia is alo an option.
My school doesnt offer AP classes which is about the same thing A-levels.
I am willing to do a foudation year.
What universities would accept me.
Nursing is my major.

7. Posted by magykal1 (Travel Guru 2026 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

There's nothing to stop you from doing a foundation year (and subsequently bachelor's degree) here in the UK, but you'd most likely have to pay the fees which can be quite high for international students. Depending on your SAT score you might get straight onto a degree course at some universities without doing a foundation but each university has its own entry policy so you'd need to enquire direct. You would be entitled to work part-time to support yourself while you study.

8. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

If you want to major in nursing in the Netherlands, you'd have to enroll at an institution for higher professional education (dutch abbreviation: HBO), not a university. The level of both types of institutions is deemed equivalent, though. Contrary to what Sander wrote, there is no lottery for nursing: everybody who meets the entry requirements will be admitted. In fact, there may even be special visa programmes for aspiring students of nursing, seen that Europe expects to have a huge shortage of medical personnel in the near future.

Dutch higher education doesn't really have a major/minor system similar to that of the US. You choose to do a Bachelor's degree in the field of your choice, and although there may be some room in the programme to pursue other interests that you have, this room is usually very limited.

As to entry requirements: the educational institute where you want to take your training has sole authority in deciding about your admission. However, the people there will try to ascertain whether your US diploma can be rated equivalent to at least a Dutch 'havo' diploma. Since the quality of US high schools is not very consistent across the board, they will probably require that you have your diploma validated by an institute called Nuffic. If your diploma is found to be equivalent, you don't have to do a foundational year. You have to pay a substantial for Nuffic's services, but a Dutch Bachelor's degree will generally improve your chances in the US if you want to be admitted to a top university afterwards.

If your diploma does not meet the institution's requirements, another option you have is to undergo an admission interview (colloquium doctum) where your motivation and skills are assessed. This is costly, though, and you'd have to be at least 21 years of age.

The joint programmes of health education maintain an excellent website (in Dutch) where you can get more information. Chances are that they're also willing to answer questions addressed to them in English.

[ Edit: Edited on 27-Jul-2009, at 04:47 by bentivogli ]

9. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Nursing is my major.

What sort of training are you seeking?

If you want to become a nurse you have to attend a Berufsschule (trade school) in Germany or get an apprenticeship. This is not possible for you in Germany because you'd need a work permit to attend.

If you want to study nursing at a higher level (essentially Nursing Management or Social Pedagogics) you could attend a Fachhochschule (FH), a university of applied science. The system of major and minor does not exist at FH's, you'd study nursing round the clock. (But let me ask my sister, she is a nurse and maybe she has a tip, I think I'll be able to get hold of her next week.)

For more info on studying in Germany try

10. Posted by Kels_Bama (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

How hard would it be to get into a university abroad for me?