Schengen Visa-Expired H1B Stamp (US temporary worker)

Travel Forums Europe Schengen Visa-Expired H1B Stamp (US temporary worker)

Last Post
1. Posted by donyp (Budding Member 3 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Hi All
I really wish someone who has been thru the same situation as mine could shed some light. I am currently working in US with H1-B visa. I plan to back home for good to Indonesia in October and I want to travel in Europe on my way home. I went to German embassy today and the officer rejected my application. She said I need to have a valid H-1B visa stamp. My petition is still valid for another year. I just found out about this valid visa stamp. I told her that I would be going home after Europe although I didnt tell her that I would be going home for good. Then she also told me that a proof of appointment for visa stamp with US Embassy back home (in lieu of valid visa stamp) would be sufficient.
My question is, did anybody ever get a schengen visa with expired H1B stamp and from what country?
Thank you so much for any reply

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Was this you too?

3. Posted by donyp (Budding Member 3 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Yes that was me too

4. Posted by nihar15 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!


Just curious if you got the visa? I am in a similar position. Going back to India to get my H1b stamped. I have a valid 3 yr extension and I797 but the Visa itself has expired on the passport. I am planning to take a 2 day stopover in Paris.


5. Posted by donyp (Budding Member 3 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Yes I did get the visa from Dutch embassy. They didnt care about my expired entry visa to US because I told them I wouldnt be coming back. Thats the first thing they asked me, "Are you coming back to US?" It seems like they are more reasonable than other embassies. First I went to German embassy and i was rejected because I had no valid entry visa, but then they told me an appointment with US embassy in my home country would be sufficient. I asked Italian embassy and they said valid entry visa is needed.
So I think you should try Dutch embassy and tell them that you will get the visa stamp back home. However in your case (2 days only in Paris) you should go to French embassy. I dont know wether they will let you have schengen visa without entry visa to US or not
Getting the schengen visa for H1B holder is a painful process and I hope you will get it.
I wish you luck!

6. Posted by boston24 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

@donyp: Did you want to visit Germany on an official trip? If yes, did you have the official invitation letter ?

@nihar15: Did you get the visa ?

Guys your help will be really appreciated!

7. Posted by Dr.Sneha (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

My fiancé is having the same situation. He will be getting his passport stamped in India in jan when we get married. We want to apply for schengen for our honeymoon and then go to US from there. Will his extension letter be enough to get him a schengen? We will arrange for the US visa appointment letter also. I would also like to know whether we need to show flight or hotel bookings while applying for schengen. It would be great if we get a quick reply as we are running short on time.

8. Posted by ajaypr (First Time Poster 1 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!


Does anyone have any experience with French Consulate in this matter?

We plan to visit Paris while coming back from India. I am trying to get Schengen visa through French Consulate. My H1B has expired, however I-797 is valid. Is there any chance of getting visa? If yes, what do I need to be careful about?

I do see in previous posts that it is easy to go through Dutch consulate. However, I have already made arrangements in France for a quick visit. Not a wise decision, but I am kind of stuck.


9. Posted by Loureiro (First Time Poster 1 posts) 5y Star this if you like it!

But what is the problem with the US visa if you are in Europe?? I think you only need a valid passport to travel around Europe and you dont have to spend more than 3 months there!! other think you can do is report your passport as stolen in your embassy and they will give you a new one and use the other to get in to USA later!!

10. Posted by harishkashyap (Budding Member 6 posts) 4y Star this if you like it!

I too am in the same boat. Booked my travel to Europe for two weeks before going to India. Never even thought that US visa would be an issue. I am planning to get it stamped while in India. I plan to go to the French cosulate as I would be landing in Paris first. Could someone respond if they managed to obtain a visa at all?