Skip Navigation

Resale Value of a Campervan

Travel Forums Europe Resale Value of a Campervan

Last Post
21. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

that is why you enter paris and therefore kick - off the 180 day period early.

That doesn't work. All it does is waste 2 days of your precious time in Schengen. The 180 day period is fluid, you cannot "start it". For calculating time in and out of Schengen you have to count forward and backwards 180 days from each date of entry and exit and see whether your intended travel inside Schengen within this period exceeds 90 days. That is why you have to stay outside the Schengen Area for 91 days if you want to get the full 90 days again.

If the 180 day clock resets every time you enter then after 6 weeks in croatia the clock will reset

Again, it doesn't work this way. The clock of the previous entries is still ticking and days are counted. See my calculations above.

For example if I have a WHV for germany and I spend 60 days touring around can I then spend 90 days touring in a shegen area or can I just spend 30?

The gist is that you are allowed to tour 90 days in a 180 day period in all Schengen states (just like without the WHV), with days in Germany not counted. You have to return to Germany or stay outside the Schengen area once the 90 days are up. So how does the WHV help you? Well, it makes your stay inside the Schengen Area legal for up to a year. With the WHV visa in your passport nobody (except the Germans) is going to bother too much with where exactly you spent that time (unless it is more than 90 days in a country that is not Germany). The German authorities will have some say about it if you stay away from Germany for more than 180 consecutive days, but apart from that you shouldn't have any problems.

To make you understand the problem better: If you stay for longer than 90 days you are not a tourist, you are a resident, have to apply for a residency permit and pay taxes. That's why the 90 day rule exist. Per Schengen Agreement you cannot get a residency permit for the whole Schengen area, you need to apply for a residency permit in one of the countries that signed the Schengen Agreement. Where you should apply for a residency permit usually depends on where you intend to spend the most time.

(If you planned to tour the USA in a campervan for a year you'd have more or less the same problem. )

22. Posted by gusmac (Budding Member 8 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Thanks T_maia,

I am very grateful that you have taken the time out to explain the in's and out's of this schengen treaty, although I have not got my head fully around all the in's and outs I know understand that for freedom of movement the easiest way is to obtain a visa in a european country. The country that we will spend the most time continuosly is Italy so it would be advisable to get a visa there. Tomorrow I will ring our embassy and get advice so as to which country will be the easiest to obtain a visa as I am sure others have tried in the past.

thanks again


23. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

and get advice so as to which country will be the easiest to obtain a visa

I think I already told you that. ;)

Residency permit for Italy can be more complicated, because AFAIK you have to complete the residency process inside Italy. That can be quite a lot of hassle. DonĀ“t know how it is with the WHV though.

[ Edit: Edited on 13-Aug-2009, at 07:46 by t_maia ]

24. Posted by fabyomama (Respected Member 560 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

How is Italian beaurocracy these days? ;)

25. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

One more thought: if you are going to get a WHV for Italy you might want to make it down to Sicily and not to Morocco after you get your van in London. Makes more sense visa-vise and temperatures are similar.

And if you then want to see some North African sights consider going to Tunisia from Sicily. Less overrun than Morocco and just as beautiful.

26. Posted by burf (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

just wanted to know what happens if I forget to get a "stay permit" in Italy and stay for more than 90 days?

Post 27 was removed by a moderator