Skip Navigation

United Kingdom - Permanent Touring with no fixed home addres

Travel Forums Europe United Kingdom - Permanent Touring with no fixed home addres

Last Post This thread is marked as being about United Kingdom
1. Posted by NW11851 (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!


At the age of 58, I find myself solo and I am about to purchase a Motorhome from the proceeds of the sale of my house.

I propose to live, for the next few years, permanently in the motorhome. My intention is to journey around the UK, possibly Ireland, but no further, staying on recognised sites, such as those approved by the Caravan CLub, or similar.

I now have almost no near relatives and no fixed address. Most of my current affairs can easily be managed via the Internet. e.g banking, subscriptions etc. Does anyone have any information/guides as to how I will be able to manage the more fundamental basics, such as Road Fund Tax, Indurance, credits cards and memberships subscriptions - all of which require a fixed addresss to which documents (and similar can be sent?

Several years ago, I heard of a 'notoriious' accommodation address in romford or Chelmsford were a lot of gypsies/'travellers' had thei physical mail delivered, and I believe that there is a property in Crawley used by the gipsy community for this purpose (although I would not qualify for that).

I am not sure that site managers would be happy about being used as informal accommofation addresses; besides, there is no guranatee that I would return to one after I had left.

I would envisage spending as little as a week at som sites, much more at others.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards - David

2. Posted by Clarabell (Travel Guru 1696 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Can the Citizens Advice Bureau give you any advice on the legal side of this- regarding addresses for registering your vehicle, drivers licence, etc?

[ Edit: Edited on 27-Aug-2009, at 14:43 by Clarabell ]

3. Posted by NW11851 (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

THanks for the suggestion.

I intend to try them. In our town there is a hige wait to see them because they are inundated with people needing urgent financial advice. Also, living adjacent to Gatwick airport, there are a phenomenal number of people awaiting appointment regarding immigration, immigration status, appeals, benefits, housing. :(

A frien of the family volunteers at the CAB and she says that the list of peple awaiting appoitments is the longest that she has ever known it to be.


4. Posted by bluewaav (Inactive 627 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hey David,

As far as credit cards/banking are concerned, it can all be done online and paperless. At least, it can be in Canada, though I'm sure that the UK is similar? Anyway, they write No Fixed Address on the registration and you can select the option of 'going paperless', therefore no need to have them send you a statement/bill (an electronic version is, instead, emailed to you), and you pay your bill online. The assumption that I'm making is that you have internet access in your Motorhome, unless you plan to go to internet cafes, which might not be so secure.

Also, do you have any friends that won't mind doing you a favor, or perhaps an old neighbour? If you must receive mail then maybe you can expand your social circle and find someone who won't mind. You may have already considered this, though, making that suggestion redundant . . . Also, how will you read this mail while you are on the road? Are you going to travel back and forth?!


5. Posted by NW11851 (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi Steph,

The Internet side is all take care of and will not be a problem.

It;s the physical side of things that will be a problem. True I can, and already am, running bank and credit card accounts 'paper-free' but when the cards expire (in 2012) I will need an address to which the replacements can be sent. Motor insurance companies insist on an address to which to send the physical policy (boring in the C21st, I know)

Despite all the predictions, we still do not have a paperless society.

I am still trying to puzzlw some of this out.

Regards - David

6. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Sounds like you need some kind of mail holding/private mailbox service. Mail Boxes Etc and Mailbox Unlimited are 2 companies that offer this.

Not sure how insurance will work out for the motorhome as they base some of it on home postcode, so you'll need to be upfront about what you're doing with them.

7. Posted by bluewaav (Inactive 627 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hmmm . . . Just got an idea! Have you considered a post office box? Would your credit card/ motor insurance companies mail to it?

8. Posted by bluewaav (Inactive 627 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Just found this, it's a link to a website by a guy named Andy who has travelled with no fixed address to over 70 countries over the course of about 10 years. He gives some tips on this page on how to have a Mobile Office, that is, tips for cell phones, connecting to the internet, recieving mail, etc. You can read his blog, Hobo Traveller, here. The grammar isn't perfect, but you can get the gist of what he is saying.

9. Posted by bluewaav (Inactive 627 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

This might solve some of your problems. It is a link to a company that will give you a street address and foreward your mail to you via Fed Ex, etc. They have an office in London. Mail Network

10. Posted by NW11851 (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Thank you all so much for your observations and suggestion - some of which I had already considered, some of which were totally new to me and have given me much to think about.

Regards - David