Skip Navigation

Electrical Advice for Ghana?

Travel Forums Africa and The Middle East Electrical Advice for Ghana?

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Ghana
1. Posted by gaiti_f (Budding Member 3 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

HI everyone!! I have a bit of a basic question here, first time traveller (literally lol!) I've been trying to decide whether to buy many batteries for my trip to Ghana OR take my recharger (+ batteries) with me for my digi cam. I just bought a voltage converter but it doesn't say anything about battery recharger's in particular so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Same issue with my 8 gig ipod. I have a recharger for that as well . . . . can I use it with the voltage converter . . . and do I need with an ipod?!

Some stats on the converter are:
Converts 220 thru 240 Volts AC to 120 Volts AC"
Switchable from 50 watts and 1600 watts
Not for use with any personal appliance with an electronic heat control circuit (what exactly does this mean?

I'm leaving from Canada if that helps any :) I'm not at familiar the volts and wattages . . . I should do some research on that!

Thanks for any help that can be provided!!!

2. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

There's essentially two parts to getting something to charge in a different country. The first is the voltage. In most of the world the voltage is between 220 and 240 (vs. US/Canada where it's 110/120). These days a lot of appliances can handle both voltages, for example most laptops these days handle voltage from 100 to 240. Likewise, the charger for the ipod should handle 100 v through 240v (see this apple link for example).

In case you have some appliance which can't handle the full range, you'll need the voltage converter. But check your recharger first as I'd be surprised if it can't handle the whole range!

More importantly though, the plugs are different in Ghana compared to what you are used to. There's a pretty good graphic (and more explaining regarding this) on adaptalec. You need the plug converter that will fit the socket with the tickbox on it. Basically you need a plug converter that will let you plug in North American plugs, with British coming out on the other end (or one of the multiple ones that covers all plugs you'll ever come across). These are typically quite cheap, maybe 5 US for a simple one, or 20 for one of the multiple ones. You can buy them at any airport and most good travel equipment or electronic shops will also carry these.

Personally, I'd take an ipod, but thoughts can differ on the matter :)

3. Posted by gaiti_f (Budding Member 3 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Thanks for the info Sam I Am for the advice and links (and the intro post ;)!!) The voltage converter I bought came with different plug types so I'm safe on that~! I actually read the label on the my battery recharger and it said it's input is 100-240V and can handle 50-60 Hz which is terrific (same for my ipod recharger, it's a cheaper knock off than the official apple but it says it can handle the same).

I'm going to take the my ipod now that I know for sure I can charge it while abroad! Remind me of home when I get homesick (and I know I will ) I don't think I'll take the converter, it's heavy and now I know I won't be needing it . . . but I will take the adapter! Again thank you!!! :)

[ Edit: Edited on 02-Oct-2009, at 07:04 by gaiti_f ]