Australian Driving License

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Australian Driving License

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by ROLLonOZ (Full Member 36 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!


I'm flying out to oz for a year in January and was wondering what the situation is like regarding driving licences. I would like to be able to drive out there but have no licence in the UK and am considering taking test in Australia (I'm flying into Sydney).Is this possible on a WH Visa? If so, how long in advance would I need to book a test ? Would this be acceped in the UK when i return? Is it expensive?

Thanks In advance!

2. Posted by notarealme (Full Member 49 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Hi, my friend did his down in Australia, you will need to of had your UK/EU provo for at least 6 months, my friend talk the Australian DVLA in to letting him take the test early as he had the UK/EU provo. Then you will need to learn there paper and witten test. Then once you pass the test, you will be given a provo Australia licence, its a full licence, but for people who have just passed there test and has restrictions on it. Then after 3yrs you get your full Australian, my advice, take the test in the UK, insurance companys get funny about anything that isnt a full UK/EU licence. I know, i work for one.

The UK/EU licence is also a international one, as we travel to European countrys/states, the Australian one isnt, so you might have to re-take your test here.

But to answer your question, yes you can, but it might cause problem when you get back.

3. Posted by scotsman (Respected Member 128 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

Afternoon to you,

My suggestion would be similar to the guy above. Get your licence at home. Do one of those crash courses, might set you back a couple of hundred quid but it'd be well worth it. Again like the guy before hand said there are some weird restrictions once you pass your test down here, like even once you've passed your test you've gotta drive around with red P plates & your not allowed to go over 100k's (60mph) on highways etc etc..

Plus do you want to spend a big chunk of your time in oz fretting about passing this test and then having less time to actually drive about. If you want to see as much of Oz as possible i personally think you need more than a year, so i might complain at the airport on my way out at only being given 12 months too!

Anyhow good luck in getting that elusive pretty pink plastic card!!!


4. Posted by Wocca (Inactive 3745 posts) 14y Star this if you like it!

I exchanged my Australian licence for a UK one. No tests of any sort required

Post 5 was removed by a moderator
6. Posted by Aleesha (Budding Member 7 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!


I worked for Queensland Transport in Australia for just over 2 years and the requirements to date are:

If you HAVE held a UK drivers licence you will need to sit a 30 question written test regarding the Australian road rules etc and from there (if you pass) you will automatically be given the full open drivers licence.

If you HAVE NOT held a UK licence (or any other overseas licence) you will need to again, sit the 30 question written test and if you pass you will then be issued with a learners permit which you must hold for a minimum period of 6 months, once you have held the 6 month licence you will do a practical driving test which will (if you pass) allow you to have an open drivers licence.

Prices for everything are as follows: (in Aust. Dollars)

Written Road Rules Test: $15.90 per attempt
Learners Permit: $15.45 for 12 months
Practical Driving Test: $37.25 per attempt
Open Licences:
1 Year $24.30
2 Year $33.80
3 Year $43.30
4 Year $52.80
5 Year $62.30

I also suggest that you buy a road rules guide and study it before attempting the written test because there are alot of trick questions and not many people pass first time!!

Good luck and I hope this helps!!


7. Posted by LizPF (Budding Member 2 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi everyone,

My fiance is applying to exchange his Aussie licence for a UK one as he now resides in the UK, having started off as just visiting. He's on an ancestry visa. We've found the UK to be full of red tape on all sorts of things, and I wonder if they are on exchanging licences.

I'd like to know (if anyone knows the answer), if he's expected to enclose proof of UK residency with his application form to DVLA. Also, by resident, do they mean 'permanent resident' or does it just simply mean that you reside in the country and work there and have been there for a while, more than a certain number of days?

DVLA don't give much information on this, I've checked their website, and we'd like to get this application right, as we're both fed up with the red tape.

8. Posted by Wocca (Inactive 3745 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I was in the UK on a tourist visa when I exchanged my Aussie licence for a UK one.

All I had to do was post the licence to the DVLA in Wales (Cardiff, I think). They posted back the UK licence to me. No other paperwork was required.

Perhaps if your boyfriend gets a National Insurance Number, he may come up against less red tape in the UK generally. All I did was attend a Social Security Office, and they gave me a temporary number on the spot. Within a couple of weeks, a permanent card/number was posted to me. Don't give any more information than necessary

9. Posted by LizPF (Budding Member 2 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Ah, thanks for that Wocca.

So may I ask how long your tourist visa was for? You didn't have a residents permit or anything like that? You just sent the licence and your passport? And how long ago?

Excuse all the questions (and no doubt sounding stupid), just want to make really sure!!

10. Posted by Falak (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y Star this if you like it!

Hey aleesha

I needed some help..I want to know if it's possible in Australia to hold two licenses...I gave my test in Canberra, Australia and I exchanged my Australian license for a uk license since in uk they don't allow for one to hold two just want to know if I go to Australia and give my written test will it be possible for me to get the Australian license without having to surrender my uk one??