Skip Navigation

Backpacking and bankruptcy

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Backpacking and bankruptcy

1. Posted by nathansurf (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

hi there

i need a bit of advice regarding working and traveling Australia while being bankrupt.

i recently declared myself bankrupt and am planning on going traveling in Australia in late February.

i already have my working visa as i know i will have to work while out there, but im worried im going to have a problem when it comes to being paid. Im finding it hard enough to open a bank account in the u.k so am worried about opening a bank account in Australia, however i really dont want to open an account if i can avoid it, as any money i earn will be looked into and most probably taken off me.
are there any other ways of being paid when you dont have a bank account. for example if i was to get work in a supermarket/store would they be able to pay me via cheque and if so does Australia have anywhere that offers cheque cashing services, or would i be able to have wages paid into a relatives account, or am i stuck with trying to find cash in hand work??

any help or advice to my situation would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance.

2. Posted by fabyomama (Respected Member 560 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

There was talk here about the availability of web-based bank accounts, though I'm not sure what became of it, or whether it would even help. You might actually be better off looking at the 'legal' forums (possibly an Aussie one?) regarding these kind of questions, though I expect you already have. Seems pretty complicated (to me, at least) seeing as it involves two country's.

If you don't mind me saying, that was a massive decision in anyone's book. Good luck with it. ;)

[ Edit: Edited on 16-Dec-2009, at 11:59 by fabyomama ]

3. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Opening a bank account in Australia is much easier than the UK - they don't really do credit checks and such. For people here on a WHV the only things you need is your passport and an address (this is within the first 6 weeks of arrival - after that you need more ID).

Most places tend to pay by electronic deposit now, so finding a place that pays cash may be difficult - and cheque cashing services would probably cost a bit.

4. Posted by LexA (Budding Member 11 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Yep its easy opening a bank account here as the last poster stated ... a passport and an address in the first 6 weeks ... after that you need whats called 100 points of ID but again that isnt a problem for most people. Australian banks couldnt care less if you are a declared bankrupt as long as your not applying for credit.