Skip Navigation

Hoping to extend visa in Switzerland

Travel Forums Europe Hoping to extend visa in Switzerland

1. Posted by zsumerl (Budding Member 3 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I am hoping to extend a 90 day C Visa in Switzerland (Canton of Zurich) to 180 days. I am currently in the country and am a U.S. citizen. My purpose here is personal-I want to stay with my girlfriend longer ..and study German.
I have 2 potential problems, 1 is getting a student Visa. I have already had a student visa, is this an issue? 2 Is it difficult to extend to a D visa even if I have a "sponsor". Is this decision made by Schengen or Switzerland.

To my fellow travelers- I am an idiot that did not follow the cardinal rule of traveling..always ALWAYS check the rules and laws of the area you plan to travel. I had no idea that Switz joined Schengen since I last left..this is my 3rd trip in 2 years in Switz. My original plan was to leave Switz for 30 days and come back for 2 months..I feel stupid but.
ANY help getting around red tape would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!
  • C visa are non-extendable beyond 90 days
  • afaik, there is no prohibition against applying for a student visa more than once. You will need to apply with the Swiss representation in your country of origin, however
  • 'Schengen' is not an entity that makes decisions
  • D visa are national visa, subject to national legislation. As a rule, a short-stay visa (C) cannot be converted to a long-stay visa. You have to leave, and apply for a long-stay visa from your country of origin
3. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

The way I see it you got two options:

1) Go back to the USA and apply for a student visa to Switzerland at the Swiss embassy in the USA.

2) Go to Germany, find yourself a cheap appartment and take up residency there. As US citizen you can apply for a residency permit (=student visa, language school visa) in Germany. After a few months in Germany you could apply for a student visa to Switzerland at the Swiss embassy in Germany.

The place to apply for the residency permit if you rent an appartment in one of the small villages close to the Swiss-German border (Hohentengen for example) in the Landkreis Waldshut (County of Waldshut) would be the Ausländerbehörde at Landratsamt Waldshut, Kaiserstraße 110, 79761 Waldshut-Tiengen. Exception: If you take up residency in Waldshut-Tiengen itself go to the Rathaus.

Let me know if you need more information about doing 2). I can explain to you what sort of documents you need and what the costs and rules are.

[ Edit: Edited on 30-Dec-2009, at 12:09 by t_maia ]