Skip Navigation

Thailand visa help!

Travel Forums Asia Thailand visa help!

1. Posted by Nyssa (Budding Member 31 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hey Guys,

I am going to fly into Bangkok on April 25th and fly outta Bangkok on June 1st. I realize I get a 30 day entry upon arrival to Bangkok and before those first 30 days are over I plan to go into cambodia for a week to see angkor wat, before returning to Thailand (either flying or by land). It is my understanding that I get another visa (either 30 days or 15 days depending on which method of transportation I use) which is more than enough time to finish my trip.

However, someone has recently told me i might have problems getting into thailand if i dont have a flight out of the country that is within my first 30 days. I want to know if there is any truth in this information? I didn't think this would be a problem when I booked the flights, but now I am concerned.

Also, has anyone gone from Bangkok to Siem Reap overland or do you guys recommend flying there? Im a female solo traveler (I dont know if that matters). I'm very excited to see Thailand, but nervous also at being alone even tho everyone tells me its such a friendly place!

Thanks a lot guys!


2. Posted by Curt1591 (Respected Member 230 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Until March 4, I believe, Thai Embassies are waiving fees for visas. You might check your nearest embassy and see if this applies to multiple entry visas.

3. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3579 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Legally you are supposed to have an onward or return ticket to use the free 30 day entry permit. In reality, the Thai Immigration officials rarely check. Thailand is offering free 60 day tourist visas. Supposed to end March 4, 2010. I would contact your Thia Embassy and obtain one of the free tourist visas. Use that on entry and no need for an onward ticket.

Here is the complete guide for going overland: BKK-Siem Reap. The road is much better now and not such an ordeal. Read thoroughly and then decide on transport. I would try and find several others that have the same plan as you do. You are bound to find several that are going overland to SR around the same time you are. When in the Khao San Road area, put your travel plans on notice boards and chat with others about Angkor.

The travel agents will book it for you, but there are many scams involved with that option. Only use a travel shop if you cannot find anyone going overland the same dates you are and you are not willing to go it alone.

One option you may want to consider is to fly Air Asia to Phnom Penh. Not expensive. Tour PP for 2-3 days, then take the bus or boat up to SR. No scams with the bus, boat is overpriced IMO. Then overland back to BKK. Good luck with your planning.

[ Edit: Edited on 08-Feb-2010, at 12:23 by vegasmike6 ]

4. Posted by Appro (Budding Member 41 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Vegasmike is correct when he said Thai Immigration officials rarely check, but that might not be the problem. I've read a few accounts recently of people not being allowed to board the aircraft without either a visa or proof of onward travel within 30 days. I suppose it might depend where you're flying from, who with and old-fashioned luck, but we've decided not to take the risk. I would try and take advantage of the free visas. You'll need two 60 day visas as you will be entering Thailand twice. Not sure about the price in Canadian dollars, but each visa costs £28 in the UK - but hopefully I can get them free! :)

5. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Respected Member 550 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

How do you get the free visas? Is this a limited-time special offer?

6. Posted by Appro (Budding Member 41 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Call one of the Thai consulates (Liverpool, Hull or Birmingham). You have to apply before the end of Feb to get it issued before the cut off date (4th March I think). The free visas are valid for 3 months (i.e. you have 3 months to enter Thailand after the visa has been issued) and only apply to single entry visas.