Skip Navigation

schengen visa for Indian national

Travel Forums Europe schengen visa for Indian national

1. Posted by gangulyjay (Budding Member 7 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

can someone give me a clear picture of the documents required for French visa ( first time applicant). we are doing the whole itenary ourselves.
second, is it necessary to go through a Travel agent for the visa and also names of some authorized travel agents.

2. Posted by arif_kool (Travel Guru 1757 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

French visa can be applied at the consulate in Delhi, Mumbai or Pondicherry depending on your place of residence. The visa processing has been outsourced to VFS global and has become much easier and hassle free. Detailed information about the fees, documents required and application form are available at
Basically u will need the following essential documents:

1. confirmed return tickets
2. confirmed hotel reservation vouchers for the entire stay period in Schengen zone
3. overseas insurance
4. Income tax papers
5. Bank Statement
6. covering letter from the applicant, photographs, etc
7. In mumbai, an applicant has to personally visit the consulate for biometrics, i am not sure about Delhi and Pondicherry

You dont need to get it done through an agent, if ur residing in delhi or mumbai or pondy, it is easy to hand over the documents at the VFS centre.

Hope this helps


3. Posted by The NRI (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi guys,

I know of a number of Indian nationals that have had all sorts of problems when applying for a Schengen visa. Review your itinerary and ensure that you visit the embassy of the country you will spend most time with. Otherwise you will end up losing time and money having to make a second application. The following account may save you a lot of hassle - -snip-

[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]

4. Posted by gangulyjay (Budding Member 7 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Thanks so much for the reply.
few questions though:
I am not working and not into business, so what does this rule means:
Unemployed applicants and students can submit their spouse's / parent's financial papers AND a letter of employment or business
I have my own bank statements which I can provide but kindly clarify on the letter of employment:

5. Posted by arif_kool (Travel Guru 1757 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Letter of employment simply means a letter from ur husband's employer about his job and designation. If he is going along with u, then he naturally has to obtain a leave certificate and no-objection from the employer. If ur going alone, he can declare about his designation and also declare that ur his wife and get it signed by his boss !!

[ Edit: Edited on 23-Feb-2010, at 05:48 by arif_kool ]

6. Posted by gangulyjay (Budding Member 7 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

you have been a great help. Thanks.
we have got the schengen visa from France consulate however our trip has to be postponed. we are now planning to do Italy and four days in Paris. I would like to know:
1. is it possible to spend majority portion of our trip in Italy and four days in Paris?
2. can we enter Rome first or do we have to enter Paris?

7. Posted by The NRI (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Since the Schengen is a visa free zone with no checks at borders, once you have actually obtained the visa, it wouldn't really make a difference how much time you spend in either place. You could enter through Italy but since it is a visa obtained from the French embassy they might ask you for proof (flight tickets/hotel bookings) that you will be continuing your journey onward to France. If you are able to provide that then it isn't a problem. Also just make sure you do go to France at least for a day even if it isn't in your itinerary, because if you don't the Schengen system has a way of finding out that you got a French visa and didn't go and that could create problems when you apply again in the future.