Skip Navigation


Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific WHO TO BOOK WITH TO WORK IN OZ?!

1. Posted by TracyTracy (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'm sorry if this question has been asked squilions of times before...but!!...

Who is the best organisation to go through to organise an Australian working holiday?!

The companies I know of are STA, Bunac, OzIntro, Real Gap and Nomads. Each offer varying levels of job search support/social activities/nights in hostels etc etc, but has anyone got any ideas which is the 'best' to go with?

So far, I've ruled out OzIntro, as even though I will be able to get my visa granted when I'm 30, I can't arrive in Oz until after I turn 31 (due to another trip I've already got sorted for this year).
And apparently you can only be max 30yrs when actually doing the OzIntro week in Sydney - even though I'll have a valid visa to work!! RUBBISH!

It looks like you get a lot of job support with Bunac and I like the idea of the group flight/HKG stopover. Real Gap looks quite good too.

But STA Travel and Nomads are a lot cheaper and you can start in one of several main cities, not just do the usual thing of starting in Sydney.

So is it worth paying more to go with someone like Bunac, or is the relative 'bare-bones' support from STA Travel etc enough?

OR!!!! - is it better/easy to do things totally independently??

2. Posted by Gail80 (Full Member 99 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

When are you arriving in Sydney?? I was also thinking of doing Ozintro but now considering going at it alone and saving some money.

3. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Going alone is not as scary as it sounds with Australia. A lot of hostels in Sydney (and Melbourne) have job boards on the wall, and there's also the job boards at the Sydney Travellers Contact Point office too.

Bank account - easy, just head to a bank within 6 weeks of arrival, and all you need is your passport and an address. You may want to check out banks before you arrive though.

Tax file number is pretty easy too, and medicare card isn't too difficult either (you still should get travel insurance, the medicare agreement is limited for visitors as you would be on a WHV).

You will meet people in youth hostels, and a lot of hostels also put things on during the week. One hostel in Sydney I would recommend looking at is the Glebe Point YHA.