Skip Navigation

What Visa needed?

Travel Forums Asia What Visa needed?

1. Posted by Face (Budding Member 14 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!


I have little problem. I already wrote to visa FAQ thread to but nobody answered.

I i'd like to land in bangkok in April. I probably leave from Finland.

So my question is, where i can get best visa and how much its gonna cost me?
I want to stay to Thailand at least 6moths to 1year.

I looked from that embassy homepage but didint understand anything. There was so many visa types etc.

I appreciate any help.


2. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3579 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

You need to contact the Thai Embassy in Finland. Thailand is going to extend the free tourist visas until March 2011. It was passed but not signed into law as of last week. Check with the Thai Embassy and you could get 2 free tourist visas. Spend 60 days in Thailand, pay 1,900 baht to extend for another 30 days. Then you have to leave the country. Visit Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore, somewhere. Then fly back in and activate your 2nd tourist visa. Extend again and you will be to 6 months. The second 6 months will be more difficult. I don't know if Thailand will let you do this again. They will look at your passport and decide if you can have another 60 day tourist visa. They have changed to rules to keep visitors from living in Thailand without obtaining a work permit or declaring residency. This is why you only get a 15 day entry permit when crossing a land border. You could leave and fly back in for another 30 days. Repeat until you are tired of Thailand or broke. Here is a good source of information on all visa questions.

Good luck with your planning.

3. Posted by Face (Budding Member 14 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Thank you very much Mike!

About stay longer / after 6 months i thought to take some Thai language courses. I've looked some of them in Phuket. They give you visa for a year if you study or something.

Someone know more about this?

But Mike, i got one question more. I want to buy one way ticket, but i heard that they want to see return tickets to? This is solvable somehow?

4. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3579 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I have put a link to a helpful website. The Stickman has lived and worked in BKK for many years. He is the expert on teaching English or working in Thailand. There is just heaps of good information on his website. Check 'readers' submissions' as well.

Yes, there is an Non Immigrant Education Visa. It does allow one to stay a year and take language courses. However, you do need a certified language school to write a letter on your behalf. Additional documents are required from the language school as well. It will still be up to the Immigration officer to accept this letter and allow you to study in Thailand for a year. With this visa, you will still have to leave and re-enter Thailand every 3 months.

If you fly into Thailand with a tourist visa, Immigration officers can ask for an onward ticket. They almost never do. They can also ask you to produce 20,000 baht. This rarely happens as well. I would not be concerned with the onward ticket or the 20,000 baht requirement. You do need to contact your airline. Some airlines will not let you board a flight to BKK with a one way ticket. Ask them. I think you would be better off with on open return ticket. It will be cheaper than 2 one way tickets and allows you to pick your return date many months from now. Compare prices and you will know which option is best for you. Good luck with your planning.

5. Posted by Face (Budding Member 14 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I looked in thai embassy finland homepage
and there was two interesting points.

1. A copy of airline ticket or e-ticket.(air ticket paid in full). If you wish to obtain 2 or 3 entries, please note that you must show all full paid flight tickets entering Thailand for every entry. If you have only one flight ticket entering Thailand for one time, we will issue only one/single entry visa for you.
Note: We do not accept airlines staff card , stand by/open flight ticket.

But i buy one way ticket? What to do?


2.A copy of recent bank statement as an vidence of adequate finance during your stay in the Kingdom
( 400 euro per person and 800 euro per family)

I dont own bank, i only manage in cash.

What to do?

6. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3579 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

It looks like you need to contact your airline and upgrade your ticket to round trip. Several airlines won't allow you on the plane going to BKK on a one way ticket. It also looks like the Finland Thai Embassy is going to be very strict on visa requirements. If they enforce their rules, you are not going to be able to stay in Thailand for 6 months. You still have time to open a bank account, that will meet the money requirement. I doubt you can meet or afford the return ticket requirement for multiple visas.

The only thing I can think of today is to fly into Phnom Penh. They don't require an onward ticket or make you show an amount of money on arrival. You pay $25 for 30 days when arriving in Cambodia. Or you can declare yourself to be a businessman and stay as long as you want. Many places in PP will help you obtain a businessman's visa for around $200/year.

Now you can buy a tourist visa to Thailand, extend it and stay 90 days. Air Asia flies PNH-BKK for a very reasonable fare.

Or Malaysia. You will get 3 months free on arrival. No return ticket, money requirement. Once there, you can get a Thailand visa, fly into BKK and stay 90 days with an extension.

I hope you can make your dream to visit Thailand come true.