Skip Navigation

Overstying in Germany!!!

Travel Forums Europe Overstying in Germany!!!

1. Posted by mrio_mac (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Well, here is my case. I came to Germany for my social service and after that I went to my girlfriend’s house to spend the summer with her in Germany too. At the same time, I applied for a Visa to stay into the UK for one year (I have the appointment in Berlin to get the Visa the next July 21st ) as I’m going to be attending to the University of Manchester in September 16th. So I just found out about the “schengen rules “so I have to leave the country the next August 10th and I don’t have a place to go, I can’t afford a $1,500 dollars trip to my country (Mexico or the united states, I hold both nationalities). I been looking for some solutions and I just found that it is possible to get an extension to stay in Germany but you must have a good reason to stay in the country so I just want to stay here until I get my Visa and I can go to the UK. So is it possible that my situation would be accepted in the “Auslanderbehorde” office ???
Ohh and how do I get an extension if I don’t have a visa I mean, When I entered the country I didn’t need a visa? So how does it works???
So please help!!!

2. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Next time, please try to give a clearer account of your situation. You make it rather difficult for us to help you.

If I get you right, you

  • hold US citizenship (Mexican too, but that's irrelevant)
  • entered the Schengen area through Germany on May 10th, using your US passport without a visa
  • applied for a 1-year student visa in the UK, starting September 16th

Assuming the summary above is correct, there is little hope for you. Extensions to short-stay (C-type) visa are not normally granted, and I cannot see a reason why your case would warrant one. It won't surprise you that ignorance of regulations is not a valid ground...

What I think you should try, is to have your UK student visa start on August 10th instead of September 16th. That way, you can move over to the UK when your Schengen visa expires. Other than that, I don't see a solution, but maybe German legislation has some kind of loophole I am not familiar with.

3. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I think your overlooking the obvious solution, spend the month in a non shengen country like Ukraine. You dont need much money and you can travel! this is a travel forum anyway ;)

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Do what coldwarspy suggested and get out of the Schengen area. It is the easiest and fastest way.

In order to stay in Germany you have to apply for residency permit in Germany, for this you need your passport. This can cause complications for your student visa to the UK.

So better go to Kazantip.