Driving in Australia

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Driving in Australia

1. Posted by dodge074 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

I am going to Australia on a working holiday Visa. I don't understand how I go about buying and insuring a car to travel in.
Surely if I want to buy a car I need to register it in my name which means I would need an address! and the same for insurance! I wouldnt have an address because i will be on the move all the time!

Please help.

2. Posted by Lewwy (Budding Member 56 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

I am also interested in this information.

Thanks for any help.

3. Posted by KoalaGirl (Travel Guru 307 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Car registrations do require an address, but you can regularly update your address online. If you buy a car, I'd suggest registering it to the adderess you are staying at when you buy the vehicle.

In Australia, Cars are registered with the local authority in each State or Territory. These authorities are:
Vic Roads
Road Traffic Authority NSW
ACT Road Transport Authority
Licening Services WA
Motor Vehicle Registration NT
Transport Authority Queensland
Transport South Australia
Transport DIER Tas

Each State and Territory has differnet rules regarding registration of vehicles and licencing. I suggest you have a look at the relevant website(s) for more informaiton.

[ Edit: Edited on 19-Jul-2010, at 02:25 by KoalaGirl ]