Skip Navigation

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by joshyg69 (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!


I'm ariving in Australia around the end of October and am planning to travel from South to North round the East coast & possibly back again, basically taking as long as i can, and working along the way to keep my spending money topped up.

I am fortunate enough to have dual nationality and hold both a UK and Australian Passport and have a few questions.

- Will my Australian Passport give me any benefits when looking for/applying for short term jobs?

- I have also heard about needing some sort of tax code when getting a job?

- Also heard about needing some sort of qualification for working in bars?

I would be greatful for any info anyone could provide!


2. Posted by shells666 (Budding Member 6 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

to answer one of your questions you will need to get an RSA certificate. For the National and Qld versions (some states have their own versions) you can get these by doing a short online course. I know NSW needs to be done in a classroom (half day, not too pricey), not sure about other states x

I've done mine and although relatively hard to fail as you can reanswer any questions you get wrong, you do actually learn a thing or 2 so its not just a formality.

You will need a tax file number (TFN) and this can only be applied for after you arrive if what i've heard is true. I believe this can be applied for online too x

hope this helps x

3. Posted by holmesyboy (Budding Member 8 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

As well as the RSA (responsible service of alcohol) if you are working in any venue that has gambling facilities at all you also need to have an RCG, whcih is just as easy to get. -snip- A couple of lads I've met have worked and travelled their way from Sydney to Cairns and are now on their way back down. The work is there in Oz if you want it.

[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]

4. Posted by joshyg69 (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Thanks guys!

Cheers for the info!!

5. Posted by Dannylove (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

there are loads of jobs in oz if you look for them and there are websites just for jobs for travellers at work. they hooked me up with jobs in sydney cairns and brisbane so far and ive just been working my way down the east coast.

you're laughing anyhow if you've got dual passport then you can work as much as you want.

6. Posted by Dannylove (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

oh and dirk there is a crack up

7. Posted by JimmyJams (Budding Member 5 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Guys I did my RSA and RCG and a first aid course too which has come in handy on my travels. so glad i did these in sydney before i took off as i've picked up work in pretty much every plce i've been so far. the place that arranged my courses booked up most of the jobs ive had so far called travellers at work. darwin, sydney, melbourne and byron bay i have found bar jobs.

its been an awesome way to make new friends. an instant social life. a few of my mates were too hammered after a big night out and didnt do their courses and found it really hard to get work as we travelled around. theres always cleaning hostels i guess