Work in Australia

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Work in Australia

1. Posted by shaunman (Budding Member 5 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

Is it possible to do ne type of work in Australia without a 12 month visa? I am thinking of visiting for just 3 months and may need to work for a couple of weeks - i.e. fruit picking or sumthing similar! Ne answers would be appreciated

2. Posted by Peter (Admin 6854 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

Hi Shaunman,

You'll need a visa that allows you to work while you're here. Being on a tourist visa doesn't allow you to work at all. The easiest visa for working in Australia for short periods is the working holiday visa. It is a twelve month visa, but that of course doesn't mean you have to stay here for twelve months. You can also get it and only stay here for three. It allows you to do work for any one employer for a three month stretch. Tax rates are a lot higher than for normal workers in Australia though, with a tax rate of about 30% and NO tax-free threshold.

Let us know if you have any more questions.


3. Posted by shaunman (Budding Member 5 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

Thanx very much Peter - Will apply for the working holiday visa! 1 more point - obviously this is my 1st trip to Australia and i was thinking of travelling up the East Coust from Melbourne to Cairns, i have looked into the prices and i found an unlimited stop train pass for around $400 is this reasonable? Many thanx

4. Posted by sheepy (Budding Member 4 posts) 16y Star this if you like it!

only a quick response about getting a working holiday visa and only staying for 3 months of it....just keep in mind you can only get a working holiday visa once in your it may be worth while thinking about staying longer to make the most of it.

have fun