Skip Navigation



1. Posted by rad1983 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I hope someone can shed some light for me.

I have been offered the chance to move to the USA as my employer is opening offices over there. I will jump at the chance the only problem is I have a drug conviction for possession. It was a very small amount that I was caught with at a festival.

I just want to know if I would be wasting my time applying if it is simply not possible.

I have travelled to the USA many times before but not since my conviction. So I have never lied on a VISA WAIVER form.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, give me some advice on cost and timescales to obtain the VISA - if it is possible that is!

Many thanks in advance.


2. Posted by andy444 (Budding Member 11 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I think the best thing to do would be to to ring up the American Embassy and ask for their opinion, because they're one of the few people who'll be able to provide a definitive answer. I doubt they ask for your name if you do so, so you wouldn't have to disclose anything at this stage.

I've travelled to the States before with a very minor criminal conviction before, and was able to gain my visa waiver without any problems, but I'm not sure the situation with obtaining a full visa. Good luck with it!

[ Edit: Edited on 22-Aug-2010, at 08:43 by andy444 ]

3. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3579 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

This question has been asked many times over the years. One of our UK members admitted he had committed a felony, went to prison and had visited the US many times since his conviction. He always put down 'NO' when asked if he had ever been arrested or convicted of a crime. US Immigration asks because they do not have your record in front of them. This worked for the visa waiver program.

I don't think this strategy works when applying for a work visa. You can expect a background check at this point. I agree with post #2. Call the US Embassy and ask. No names. Does your present employer know about your arrest? If they do, let them handle the work visa. Good luck.