Skip Navigation

Course to do Bar work Hospitality

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Course to do Bar work Hospitality

Last Post This thread is marked as being about Australia
1. Posted by Jo D (Full Member 64 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I've been told that if I want to do bar work or any other hospitality work I have to go on a 2 day course that costs around $150AUD, is this true??? If so, does anyone have any info.

2. Posted by Wocca (Inactive 3745 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Which part / state of Australia you planning to do barwork in? This sounds a bit like a trade union thing to me If so, you may care to search the web for The Australian Allied Liquors Hospitality * Miscellaneous Workers Union (LHMWU). That's if they haven't changed their name recently. The Misso's should be able to give an objective answer to your query.

3. Posted by ROLLonOZ (Full Member 36 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

yeah I heard that too, especially if you wanna work in NSW
Think i might do it though, i need the $'s!!

4. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

It's called an RSA course (Responsible Serving of Alcohol) and it's true, especially in NSW and Sydney where the bars etc are checked more frequently by authorities than elsewhere.

Most hospitality employment agencies offer the course since they won't sign up anyone to work through them if they don't have it (the fines are huge for the employer or employment agency if a worker is working through them and doesn't have it so if you are planning to use agencies, you'll be sitting through this course). Last thing I heard it was a day course and pretty lame (when is someone pissed, can I serve this person another beer, etc...). I know some agencies were doing them for 60 bucks back in 2000 (wow, it's been a while...) and doubt it would be over a 100 if you do it via a hospitality agency (NOSH is one that had a fair bit of work while I was living in sydney) but if you do it independently you might end up paying that so don't do that :)

There are other courses as well for folks wanting to work in building for example. I think that one is a few days and a bit more expensive. As far as I know that one deals with questions like: 'why should I wear a hard hat at a construction site?' etc.



5. Posted by Jo D (Full Member 64 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Thanks Sam!!!

6. Posted by RachelP (First Time Poster 1 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

I hear if i have done my RSA in OZ that it doesn't mean squat in NZ. Does anyone have any info on a New Zealand bar course and how i might go about doing it?

7. Posted by NiuMei84 (Full Member 113 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hey Jo D,:)

I did the RSA-course while in OZ.It cost 70AUD which is quite cheap I reckon.The course lasted for one day.After finishing the course I got to work in a bar while the rugby's were on.

8. Posted by Jo D (Full Member 64 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hi Minna
Thanks for the info. Where did you do the course for $70. Please can you provide me with and email address or something?
Many thanks

9. Posted by NakedCat (Budding Member 2 posts) 13y Star this if you like it!

Hello I am new here.
I just finished the RSA course today. It is a combined course with RSA+RCG+Bar course, AU$209.
And after the day I read what is called certificate and just find out it said "Valid 1 month from this date"!!
OMG~~~~~ What is mean to me!!!

Post 10 was removed by a moderator